Unlocking Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

anno888
My Cars:

Unlocking Xantia

Post by anno888 »

Hi all,
I'm sure it has been covered already but can't find the post.
My problem is that my Xantia is Deadlocked and the battery has run flat hence the locks do not respond to the plip. Have tried the keys in the door but nothing. How do I unlock the thing???
Cheers
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"Have tried the keys in the door but nothing. "
What happens? Does the key just spin? You should be able to unlock with the keys, even if the car is dead locked (after I cooked the plips on my previous car I found that you could get it to dead lock by holding the key in the lock position for a second or so, and then it unlocked no problem with the key). The key spinning is a 'security' feature to stop the lock being turned with something other than the key - trouble is, if you don't use them for a while, they start doing it with the key. Squirt some WD-40 into the lock and work the key in and out a few times, then make sure it's well pushed in and the lock should turn and unlock the door. You've got 3 doors to go at!
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Presume you mean the car battery, not plip, and so when holding the key over it will not unlock as the solenoids are electrical.
I think you need to get the bonnet open somehow (No idea how though) and charge the battery.
unless you can get at the starter or alternator from under the car then you could get 12 volts into the system with jump leads from another battery by connecting to the permanant lives on starter or alternator.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Don't suppose you have a towing socket with a permanent live?
Jeremy
tj
My Cars:

Post by tj »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

"Have tried the keys in the door but nothing. "
What happens? Does the key just spin? You should be able to unlock with the keys, even if the car is dead locked (after I cooked the plips on my previous car I found that you could get it to dead lock by holding the key in the lock position for a second or so, and then it unlocked no problem with the key). The key spinning is a 'security' feature to stop the lock being turned with something other than the key - trouble is, if you don't use them for a while, they start doing it with the key. Squirt some WD-40 into the lock and work the key in and out a few times, then make sure it's well pushed in and the lock should turn and unlock the door. You've got 3 doors to go at!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My xantia estate key lock spins freely with the key, I suspect that the ignition barrel was changed and the key I have is not the right key for the doors. Can the use of wrong key permanantly damage the barrel? Can the barrel be re-worked to accept the key?
http://www.alllinuxcd.com
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

Sorry, should be more specific.
Yes, it is the car battery that is flat so the central locking won't work. When I try to use the key I can insert it into the lock but it won't turn either way. There is no spinning freely or anything it's just stiff. Surely I should be able to unlock it with the key even if it is deadlocked, then again maybe not. Brick in window??!!
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

If your key doesn't work in all the barrels all round, then it is maybe 'brick in window' time. If you do attempt that, I remember a would be car thief who told me the ceramic from spark plugs would shatter a window with ease if in small bits and thrown at the glass. I have no idea if it works but I have had to try a brick on a mercedes in the past and it kept on bouncing off, had to use a very large mallet head in the end.
If you do go that way, I can sell you the glass (and full lock set with key if you wish) very cheaply.
Good luck Adam.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Spark plug method an old trick with the "Triplex" type windows, will shatter glass without making a lot of noise or breaking through (so you have loads of glass on teh seat)
Maybe worthwhile trying to get at live feed on starter to see if you can get enough juice onboard to power the C/L up though.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Unless the locks have been changed the keys should still work - squirt some WD-40 in, slide the key in and out, wriggle it all about. I'd be going down the WD-40 route before breaking windows...!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Just a thought - have you tried the boot lock? If you can open the boot, you could force the parcel shelf off - if you're lucky without damage. Even if you have to break it (or cut a hole in it), it's a lot easier to replace than a window or a door lock.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Have you tried turning your key upside down? you may be lucky or even wriggling it in and out slightly may get you in.
If you do have to break in, put some sticky back plastic sheet onto the window, it will cut down the glass that goes all over.Once you do get in you will have to charge the battery or get a jump before you will be able to unlock the doors.
Paul
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

I'd try openning the bonnet - ask your local Cit indy for advice. On the XM S1's it's possible to do it by removing the fin in the grille and reaching up behing the headlight to operate the latch cables (just, with small hands!), so there may be a way on the Xant.
to break a side window (assuming toughened glass), get a nail punch and offer it to the glass, tap firmly with hammer (or get the self-hammer type) and glass should shatter. Work from a corner rather than the centre.
regards
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

Unless the locks have been changed the keys should still work
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have seen this before.
I had a key which would only operate the ignition and not the doors. I assumed the ignition and key had worn with use but the door locks had not or had maybe stuck through disuse.
WD40 might work.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

When we scrapped a old xr3i we had to put the window through on that. So out with the trust club mallet, a good swing and.....
...BONG! the side glass stayed intact! another good swing broke it tho :D
A little tip I was given by the scrappie was to hold a rubber mat to the glass, that way if your arm goes through the glass with the hammer it the mat will sheild it.