AX Radio Removal...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sprite
My Cars:

AX Radio Removal...

Post by sprite »

Hello one and all... newbie here and proud owner of an N Reg Citroen AX. Has its 'faults' (or do they just give it personality? ;)) of course..
One of which is a dodgy radio - wanted to get an mp3 CD player anyway but the garbled radio reception (and no, it wasn't the split aerial [:D]) gives me even more excuse.
Took it to Halfords yesterday and the guy was at it for an hour trying to remove the damn thing to no avail - it seems to be stuck in on the driver's side somehow... anyway it's going back today so chappie #2 can have a look but I was just wondering if this was unusual at all? I've read in other forums (well, google search) that people can get them out really quickly...
I just want my music *Sniff* and hope the new stereo unit fixes the radio issue!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Piece of cake to remove them, just 2 screws held my old one in place. You dont even need a facia adaptor!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Are you talking of the original radio or an after market one? I had enormous problems removing the one from my BX (Simple - looks like 4 screws on the fascia!) The radio unit was fitted into a metal sleeve which in turn was fitted to the fascia unit by bending tabs. The BX is in fact rather nicely made and there is a tight fitting plastic support behind the fascia and I think the fascia and sleeve had been fitted first then the tabs bent - so catching the car bit rather than the fascia.
The cure was to remove the radio the proper way by depressing the side catches (in this case a philips radio with catches operated by 2 circular rods) and getting the thing out and then bending the sleeve until I could find and free the offending tags. Loads of brute force, unnecessary dismantling and so on!
The new radio (Maplins Shark MP3 player/tuner) comes with the appropriate tools for depressing is side catches (flat in this case)
Jeremy
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Nice to know Halfords are still as bad as ever!
Paul.