BX gearbox and clutch - stuck in the middle, HELP!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

czenda
My Cars:

BX gearbox and clutch - stuck in the middle, HELP!

Post by czenda »

Hi, as the title suggests, I am stuck in the middle of the job I never did before. The car in question is BX 16.
a) I have successfully removed the gearbox-side driveshaft. Do I have to remove the other one as well (the one that goes through intermediate bearing)? As suggested in other related threads, there are two opinions - yes and no. BOL says yes, while some members suggest that it is not necessary. What can I ruin if I leave the other shaft in place?
b) There is an eye on the upper side of the gearbox. Is it located above its center of gravity, i.e. is it enough to use only one rope for securing the gearbox from above, or should I use more of them?
c) Should I support the engine before releasing the bolt in the rubber mounting bracket on which the gearbox hangs (I believe BOL calls the thing "support and its spindle")? If I release the nut before supporting the engine, the whole engine/gearbox assembly will probably be left hanging at an angle - is that OK?
d) Very confusing thing happened to me today while I tried to use AndersDK's method of driveshaft removal (removing/pushing up the strut instead of fighting with the lower balljoint). I lifted the car to the highest position, supported it on all 4 corners, left it standing for about an hour, then set the position to the lowest and released the pressure. The front strut is impossible to push up now - it is rock-hard, trying to lift it up with a jack only lifts up whole car. I used the method successfully twice - the only difference I can think of is that the car had been supported on 2 points before (close to jacking points). What did I do wrong?
Any help is very much appreciated.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I usually remove the long driveshaft at that point,its apparently not strictly necessary but it makes things easier, especially putting it all back, you also need to support the engine though it will need to droop down in order for the gearbox to get out, you will need to remove the long pin that goes through the gearbox mount before it will go back in (dont ask how I found that one out many years ago[:X]) I use a rope sling around the box to replace /lower it, as for the hydraulic thing? have you moved the ride lever about a few times? perhaps with a jack under the strut/wishbone, good luck.
Stewart
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Gearbox and both driveshafts are out, will go back in tomorrow (I hope).
Silly me, I removed the ring that seals the gearbox input shaft without remembering which way it was inserted [:I].
I have purchased a new one just to be on the safe side. Am I right that the side with the circular spring around the seal's inner circumference belongs to the gearbox ("oily") side?
(Yes, oilyspanner, now I know exactly what you meant by removing the long pin [:D])
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by czenda</i>

Gearbox and both driveshafts are out, will go back in tomorrow (I hope).
Silly me, I removed the ring that seals the gearbox input shaft without remembering which way it was inserted [:I].
I have purchased a new one just to be on the safe side. <b>Am I right that the side with the circular spring around the seal's inner circumference belongs to the gearbox ("oily") side?</b>
(Yes, oilyspanner, now I know exactly what you meant by removing the long pin [:D])
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes!!
Alan S