Xantia radio code I hour or York?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rpaco
My Cars:

Xantia radio code I hour or York?

Post by rpaco »

I have recently run my battery down by leaving my radar detector on overnight. This causes the radio to think it was disconnected because on attempted engine start the voltage drops to almost zero.
(Another phenomenon is that the rev counter flicks round to max revs and jams) Having wrongly remembered the code 3 times it locked me out. Now the book says that you must leave it on for an hour to get another attempt. It will only stay on in this state with accessory power on. But even in the accessory position the battery is down too low after an hour so we start again. I have also used a backup battery (emergency starter batt) to hold the voltage up but after more than an hour I still cant input the code. I read in another post that one guy had to drive to York and back before the "CODE" came up on his display, is this common for the "hour" to be so protracted?
RDD
My Cars:

Post by RDD »

You're on the right track. You need to drive to York to reset the radio code.
It used to be Paris, but pressure from this forum led to Citroen UK operating a reset beacon in York.
In real life, however, I had the same problem. Put in a new (or fully-charged) battery, and that seemed to solve it, after an hour or so sitting.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

The rev counter is a tw@ to sort out and will probably need to be pulled from the dash and coaxed back to the zero point again.
Needless to say taking the dash pod out is also a tw@ to do. Good luck Jim if you decide to accept this mission!
guillermo
My Cars:

Post by guillermo »

I had the rev counter problem in my Xsara and I solved it using a magnetic piece. Put some paper to protect the acrylic of the instrument panel. try to catch the neddle with the magnetic piece and take it to cero psition.
regards
Guillermo
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You don't need the ignition turned on for an hour, the fuse for the radio can be put in two positions, one will leave the radio powered up all of the time, the other only has it powered up when the ignition is on.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Do you mean the fues in the back face of the radio or the fuse in the fuse box?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

In the fuse box, the one inside the car.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Just to add a question to this radio code topic.
I recently bought a xantia and it had just had a new battery put in. The radio code written on the radio manual (not the card) is incorrect and I have tried some minor variations just in case a number was wirtten down the wrong way etc. Still no luck. How can I get the radio code for it?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Remove the radio and see if the code is written on it - if it has been replaced (seems so since the code in the handbook doesn't match) it may well be written on it. If not, it is usually possible to de-code the radio from its serial number, do a web search and there is a forum somewhere where some guys have access to the decoding software and can work the code out.
splat

Post by splat »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adzbaby</i>

Just to add a question to this radio code topic.
I recently bought a xantia and it had just had a new battery put in. The radio code written on the radio manual (not the card) is incorrect and I have tried some minor variations just in case a number was wirtten down the wrong way etc. Still no luck. How can I get the radio code for it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I had this problem recently. I phoned a Citroen dealer and the incredibly helpful chap in the parts department dialled my VIN number into his computer and gave me the radio code free of charge. I was in a state of shock for quite a few days afterwards!
The Citroen Blaupunkt radio in my car locks you out for a few seconds after the first wrong code, a few minutes after the second wrong code and about an hour after each subsequent wrong code. You have to leave the radio switched on for the appropriate length of time before you have another chance to enter the code. The length of the hour, so to speak, seems to vary quite a bit.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Kowalski, sorry I wasnt thinking straight, normally I can have radio on without the key in even, but in this state it turns itself off again after about 10 sec.
I am buggered if I am buying a new battery just to get the radio going. Though it has let me down twice by suddenly going flat. (I had better check the glowplug relay.) I took it in to a tyre and batt place and they tested it and said there was nothing wrong with it about 8 months ago. (nice really coz I expected them to want to sell a new batt)
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If you or someone you know has some knowledge of electronics, it's possible to discharge the backup capacitor so that the code can be re-entered straight away[}:)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi rpaco. York is barely far enough, The radio did not come to life on the way to York, it only came back on as I parked up at home after the return journey, had I been quicker turning the engine off it may still be locking me out!! [:(!]
The time was about 90 mins before it allowed me to enter the code.. [8)] [:)] The good news is, its been fine ever since.. [^]
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

Hi,
I had the radio problem & found the solution here:-
http://radiocode.proboards6.com/index.c ... =codereqst
You can work out the code by seeing which diodes (in a cluster) are looped out on the radio's PC board; can't remember which diodes though, sorry.
Roy E.