BX17TD Water pump broken

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

BX17TD Water pump broken

Post by adamskibx »

Ive seen a nice BX diesel for sale with a boken water pump. Could be a bargain but I dont know whether it could be driven from its destination (Surrey to the Midlands) due to the water pump. Does anyone know if you can risk driving a car with a broken water pump while keeping an eye on the temperature guage etc? Cheers, Adam.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I'd bet there are more problems with that. If the water pump fails, then usually the cambelt goes too, and you know what that spells!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Oh right- Im sure thats true but I was wondering why that is the case. My plan would be to buy it, risk it on the way back and then change the cambelt. Its aparently done 51,000 miles only so I suppose if it hasnt been changed so far it will need doing.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Where is it Adam? Oh just realised, surrey. No dont do. Unless on a trailer.
As an aside, i used to have an old Visa super X (mega rare car BTW) and it broke its fan/alt/pump belt, On this engine (early BX and Visa 1219 and 1360 lump) all that is aux belt driven.
I drove it home about 4 miles and without the pump working it got very nastily hot. Thats assuming the seized pump doesnt break your cambelt first.
If you really fancy the car. But it, find a garage local to it, get it booked in and changed before you drive home.
Thats my best advice anyway.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

In a word Adam
NO
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Trailer, Adam.By the time you know there's a waterpump problem, you're very likely leaving a steady stream of coolant in your wake - and how long .
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Blasted laptop - it seems to work on a text prediction principle and fills in the returns before I do. What I meant to say was this - if it's got a water pump problem now, how long has it had the problem?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

.......and as a non-GTi/16v it'll only have the "cooked head" warning light rather than a temp gauge unless I'm very much mistaken.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That's the red one on Ebay that looks very nice - I would have had a bash at it had it been closer. You could ask the seller how bad the leak is, but I doubt you'd be able to drive it a couple of hundred miles. You could just load your tools up and change it outside the guy's house - it's only 3 or 4 hours work.
Begs the question really though, if it is as good as it looks, and it's got 10 months ticket, why hasn't it been repaired????
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

There are a lot of ignorami and unscrupuli on Ebay. Water pump bust may very well mean head gasket is stuffed and he won't tell you that. Leave it well alone, Adam.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

... or the waterpump may simply be leaking out water from it's axle.
You can not trust every one. But that does not mean you should suspect every one [8]
The owner may have obtained a repair estimate, which is pretty bad on a water pump replacement - all bits and dismantling work considered on an old BX no trade value.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

... or the waterpump may simply be leaking out water from it's axle.
You can not trust every one. But that does not mean you should suspect every one [8]
The owner may have obtained a repair estimate, which is pretty bad on a water pump replacement - all bits and dismantling work considered on an old BX no trade value.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Very true Anders[:)]
Tom you cynic[}:)]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

always best to consider a worst case scenario as Tim has done, that way worst yuo can be is right, or pleasantly surprised if a lesser fault.