Xantia PLIP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

djc1960
My Cars:

Xantia PLIP

Post by djc1960 »

I have a problem with a non working PLIP on my '96 Xantia and have read all the posts on the subject I can find and either they're not apliccable to mine or I'm completely missing something.
PLIP worked fine until I disconnected the battery to change the lighting stalk on the steering column.
Since then, it's been deader 'n doggy doo.
Question one...is it normal to have to re-program after disconnecting the battery?
Question two...what exactly is being re-programmed, the PLIP (key fob bit) or the car? Explainations of this proceedure read like it's the PLIP but I thought the PLIP transmitted only and to be re-programmed, the PLIP would have to receive as well.
Most of the re-programming explainations refer to the LED on the PLIP staying on for so long then going out or flashiing for a certain ammount of time.
When I press either button on mine, it breifly pulses for about a second then goes out. It's allways done this, even when working normally (it has brand new batteries fitted)
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on?
BTW PLIP is the two button type.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

I never got that hang of it either and concluded that my spare plip was fried - although I did manage to reprogram the good one. I imagine the plip is "trained" as any generic remote control is when purchased for domestic audio-visual equipment
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

It's the receiver that is programmed - not the plip, as the plip is only a transmitter. And after all, it was the car battery not the plip battery being disconnected that lost the programming....[:D]
I'm in a similar boat to you - the plip for my '97 Xantia works fine on my car and I've tried to program my Dad's '94 Xantia to respond to it (it has the same kind of IR receiver) using all the different methods listed on this forum, and none of them work.
Mine is a single button plip, but like yours the LED only flashes on for about a second then goes out even when it's working normally, so there is no way to hold it on continuously as described.
I have to do some work on my car soon that will involve the battery being disconnected for an extended period of time so I'll be highly annoyed if the plip stops working and I'm unable to reprogram it. I've already had the battery off for a few minutes at a time with it not losing its programming, but....
Does anyone know why none of the described programming methods work ?
Regards,
Simon
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Same here. It says on many threads on the forum that you hold down the buttons in turn and the led will flash constantly whilst you point it at the plip to program it. Mine just flashes once, even when it used to work. I gave up last year. Now have two fobs that dont work and a great knowledge of how to program them in many ways!