Dam and Blast again!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

howiedean
My Cars:

Dam and Blast again!!!!!

Post by howiedean »

I need an opinion from some of our more experienced members.
I've managed to get hold of a gearbox however whilst removing the clutch selector, to replace the bushes(sorry don’t know the proper name) we’ve done some damage to the casing. From the pic below is this terminal as I'm not sure of the amount of stress at this point? It's difficult to tell from the pic but there is some of the casing left. [:(]
Thanks for your help.
RDD
My Cars:

Post by RDD »

That part provides the top pivot point for the clutch selector. Fair old bit of stress :)
If you still have the bush, my fix would be to put the bush in place, and repair the damaged part of the casing with Plastic Padding's Chemical Metal. Once it's dry, it should be more than adequate. However, for a more permanant fix, while you have the gearbox out, I'd buy another, and replace it.......
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You MIGHT find that the front part of the gearbox is one piece and can be unbolted from the rest of the box without too much scary dismantling - hence you can build one good one out of two bad ones.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

A gearbox pirate of my acquaintance puts a steel shaft in there and has the local allloy welder build it up. The alloy doesn't stick to the shaft so it is a cheap and easy fix without machining.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

A gearbox pirate of my acquaintance puts a steel shaft in there and has the local allloy welder build it up. The alloy doesn't stick to the shaft so it is a cheap and easy fix without machining.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'll have a look at getting that done as this is my shiny new HDI gearbox. [:o)]
regards
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You might get away with drilling the hole out and sticking a steel insert in, it's going to depend on how thin the casting is. If the casting is very thin at that point, you've got no choice but to build up the thickness again, either alloy welding (best option) or you could try to bodge it with your favourite epoxy metal repair / areldite etc.
I like RichardW's suggestion above, I seem to remember when I last had a Xantia gearbox out that it looked like the bell housing might just unbolt.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

I've just had the HDI box fitted and 90mph now comes in at just over 3000rpm. [:D] Just got to get it boosted now.
Regards
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

So there are taller ratios available than the TZD box? I would be interested in one of those, would the box fit into my BXTD?
Stewart
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

So there are taller ratios available than the TZD box? I would be interested in one of those, would the box fit into my BXTD?
Stewart
If your box is the same as that used in the ZX,Xantia 1.9 td then 80MPH should be around 3000rpm. I had a Xantia HDI 110BHP previously and the taller ratios made all the difference on the motorway 90MPH at 3000rpm.
My new to me Xantia had a rumbling gearbox so I decided to source out a HDI gearbox. I knew that the MLT 5 gearbox might be a problem to fit so I opted for the BE3 one from the 90BHP HDI.
I would think that on your lighter BX the HDI gearbox would become even more refined, as I've found that I could do with a bit more power now.
Regards
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

So its still a good old BE3 box but from an HDI Xantia? mine seems to give 85mph@ 3000 so yup I need to get hold of one of those, thanks
Stewart
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

So its still a good old BE3 box but from an HDI Xantia? mine seems to give 85mph@ 3000 so yup I need to get hold of one of those, thanks
Stewart
Stewart,
I managed to pick my Box up from a 306 HDI (£31 E-bay) so as long as it is from a 90BHP you should be OK, as the MLT 5 (110HDI and 2.1) uses the hyd clutch.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has done this before as well.
Regards