Trouble bleeding rear calipers on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mads
My Cars:

Trouble bleeding rear calipers on Xantia

Post by Mads »

Just changed rear disks and pads on my Xantia. Had to take calipers off to free the inner pads, what a mess. All finished, just need to bleed the brakes.. Front caliper are fine, lots of LHM, no bubles, but I cant seem to get any LHM flowing to the rear calipers.. What am I doing wrong ?? Back end on axel stand front end on ramps..
I must be missing somthing simple.. Please help !
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

Dated 22 August
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=15623
might give you some ideas??
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

Thanks John, All in order as soon as I got it of the axel-stand. I'll read the link carefully when I get time, there seems to be some hint that the hight-corrector link is malajusted if it dosn't bleed even at "high" setting.
I'll go get washed now, thanks again.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

try putting susp on high as this opens up the flow to rear brakes
regards malcolm
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

Hi Malcom,
Thanks for the tip, but I already tried that, and it didn't work.. maybe there is a problem with the ajustment of the hight corrector link..
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

For reasons I don't fully understand if you have the rear hanging free and let the suspension pressure off, it doesn't repressure until you get some weight rear suspension - even with the lever on high. Had that problem when I was rebuilding the rear brakes on my previous Xantia.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Me, too on XM - disturbing when it first happens.
rg
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

For reasons I don't fully understand if you have the rear hanging free and let the suspension pressure off, it doesn't repressure until you get some weight rear suspension - even with the lever on high. Had that problem when I was rebuilding the rear brakes on my previous Xantia.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It's easy to explain - with the car on axle stands and both wheels hanging down, the link from the rollbar via a spring to the height corrector is trying to move the height corrector in the direction that will RELEASE pressure, while the manual height control lever via another spring is trying to force the height corrector in the opposite direction to INPUT pressure to the suspension.
Whichever spring is stronger will win. In theory it should be adjusted such that the manual height lever wins out, but that seems not to be the case on many cars.
The answer is simple as per my previous post - set the height lever to high, only jack up ONE side of the car at a time, leaving the other rear wheel fitted and on the ground with no axle stand.
The weight of the car resting on the wheel still on the ground ensures that if the arm is fully extended there must be pressure there holding the car up (otherwise the back would be down) and even if the height corrector closes, you have full pressure backed up by the suspension spheres and the weight of the car to push the oil out the bleed valve...
Guarenteed to work every time. [:D]
Regards,
Simon
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when car on axle stands and both rear wheels off,put hight lever to high,then use a trolly jack with a piece of wood across from calliper to hub of brake disc and,with engine running gently jack up the arm,as soon as you feel susp pushing down on jack let jack off a bit at a time until rear susp is fully pumped up,mind you dont tip car over as susp presure biulds up,then you should be able to bleed brackes
regards malcolm
ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

I have a similar situation with my BX estate, obviously similar rear suspension etc, will the same solutions apply? Haynes method looks more complicated than it needs to be!!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes BX system is less complicated than most XANTIAS,so the main thing is to make sure rear susp is fully presureized then you shouldant have any trouble bleeding rear brackes
regards malcolm