Steering column UJ

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sir Clive

Steering column UJ

Post by Sir Clive »

Anybody ever had one of these fail? My C5 has developed an annoying 'clonk' through the steering wheel when manoevring, which can be felt more than heard. Grovelling about in the footwell last night, I'm wondering if its the U/J on the bottom of the column,there is a bit if lost motion when you turn the wheel from side to side. First of all I'm going to check the tightness of the pinch bolts, as the joint looks a bit of a bugger to get to......
I can't think of anything else that could cause this problem apart fron track rod ends, and they seemed fine when I recently changed the drop links.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I had one go on a Visa some time back. Most disconcerting driving along the M25 with about 1" of free play in the steering wheel (mind you, just driving on the M25 in a Visa Special was pretty disconcerting!!!) You could feel the play in the joint if you grasped it and rocked the steering wheel.
Quite surprised if one has gone on a C5 though - unless it's done mega mileage, and even then... I would be leaning hard on Citroen to sort it.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

The car has done just over 70,000 miles, and is approaching its fourth birthday, so I don't think Citroen are really going to be interested, mores the pity. Never had one fail on any other Cit that I've owned, and some of them have done well in excess of 200K.
Incidentally, how much free play is allowable at the steering wheel for MOT purposes?
I *hope* its something to do with the U/J, I really don't even want to start thinking about something being wrong with the rack itself.
Regards
Philip
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

According to motuk.co.uk you're allowed 13mm of radial play on rack and pinion set ups. Seems like a lot to me! Might it be a track rod end - I've done a couple of those recently.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Also check that the steering rack securing bolts havn't worked loose - has happened on a number of XM's.
//NiSk
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Another one i have seen on the BX but could happen to most of em is the lower bearing sliding down the shaft, everything gets wobbly and clunky, the fix was to reach under and slide it back into place.
Stewart
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Well, I had another look at the problem last night, and it definitely seems that there's a small amount of play in the U/J, I can feel it when the wheel is moved gently. It's within MOT spec. for free play, but it is an annoying fault never the less. I did check the track rod ends, and I'll also check the rack bolts when I'm changing the discs next week, but I think they'll also be fine.
OK, so the next question is, assuming the U/J is knackered, how the *&^# do you get it out? The rack fastening is a simple pinch bolt, but I can't work out how the top half is attached to the column. maybe if I had eyes in the end of my fingetips it would be easier.....
I bet the new joint is also going to be a main stealer part
Regards
Philip