Changing spheres- how do I get the old ones off?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

basil40

Post by basil40 »

The special sphere tool will be no trouble at all - however, for 6.99 at Halfords you could have got yourselve a filter removal gripper type tool. Not the completely useless belt ones. Even a pound shop chain wrench would have done the job. What ever you do - don't hammer them off! you've got a great chance of deforming the lead in thread engagement. Engineers do not engineer delicate safety critical parts to be hammered off!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Don't muck about with oil filter wrenches- they're too short and too weak and if the sphere is remotely tight they will just break- this is what I use-
Sat on the bonnet of my BX for scale- as you can see, its BIG, and the chain is about 20mm wide-
Resistance is futile..................die,sphere,die........[}:)]
I went into the local (good) spares shop, asked for the biggest chainwrench they do, and this was it for less than a tenner!!!
If I remember rightly, its from the Franklin range, but its not listed on their website.
basil40

Post by basil40 »

Nah, the gripper tool is like a solid handled wrench. You just clamp it onto the sphere and turn!
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

Have you got the spheres off yet Matt?
I see you are based in Manchester - do you come over to Leeds at all. If you do I've got the pieldes removal tool I'm willing to lend out.
Mark.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Hi Mipster, Yes I come over to Leeds sometimes. I haven't managed to get them off yet. I've ordered the tool from GSF mail order so will see if they send it! However, if they can't send it then thanks for your kind offer and yes I would very much like to borrow it. I'm going past Leeds not this weekend but next weekend. Thanks, Matt.
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

Let me know if you need it Matt, I'm just of junction 47