BX rear wheel bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beemernut
My Cars:

BX rear wheel bearings

Post by beemernut »

My BX was taken in for it's MOT with the result that both rear wheel bearings need to be replaced. I've ordered the bearings / hubs and had a quick look at the book of lies. Can anyone tell me how difficult is the job in hand (without tech speak) and how to carry out the job at home.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its a straight forward job- you will need a hub puller to pull the hub off- it may just pull off by hand but sods law says it won't- and it helps to have a grinder to cut the old inner race off the stub axle.
What happens is that the outer bits of the bearing stay with the old hub when you pull it off but the inner race will be stuck on the stub axle.
You don't need to disconnect the hydraulic line to the calliper- there's enough give in the pipe to just unbolt the calliper and pull it out of the way while you get the disc off, it saves having to bleed it.
Basically, remove wheel,take disc off, undo big hub nut,pull hub off, get old inner race off, and put the new bits on!!!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Or do as i did and combine the job with some better rear arms, just swapped the whole arms off a scrap car that happened to have good bearngs, wheel and radius variety.
Mind yuo this was about 4 years ago and BX's were easier to come by in scrappies.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I presume we're talking rear wheel bearings and not swing arm bearings?
If as I expect it's wheel bearings, you might find this some help; made it a simple job for me.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=11830
Alan S