Antipollution Fault C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITROEN-SUCKER

Antipollution Fault C5

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Hi Hopeing someone can help Driving along the motorway this morning I got a warning Beep Followed by the on display mesage Antipollution Fault and the little engine & service light came on I pull overe at the next junction. Oil Water fuel all seem ok car is running fine no spluts still plenty of power she isn't running stange at all. But the Manule says (URGENTLY CONSULT A CITROEN DEALER) My thinking is possable Cat fault or lambo sensor or even a bloked filter as althogh car was only service a couple of moths ago I dout they did much more than stamp the book
Thanks
in advance
J.J.
P.S. forgot to say car is 2001 C5 2.0sx
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

not really much you can do about it without getting the fault codes read with suitable software except checking all the sensors & auctuators are plugged in securely.it would just be a guess otherwise.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

i'd guess it's the lambda probe. as wheeler sayd, check for the connections, and then take it to the stealer.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Considering the outrageous price of the car, I would expect half of the PSA personnel rushing in within 5 minutes notice![}:)][}:)][}:)]
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Well ooked i with a dealer this afternoon. So now to make the appoinment with the bank about the new loan for the bill
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Well it turns out the cat is dead and they advised 2 new oxygen sensor £387 for the cat and £239 for the sensors plus vat and fitting all in £947.31 anyone think this might be a bit steep (except me that is)
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

I'd want to know WHY the cat is dead after only four years! Has somebody been feeding it four star? Wrong exhaust? Cracked cat pipe? (My garage welded mine up for twenty quid.) Chronically out of tune for a prolonged period?
Commiserations, anyway. You'd probably struggle to get the cat for less than £300, but that fitting charge certainly seems a bit steep. It's half an hour on the ramps and ten minutes for the tune-up afterwards. Unless I'm missing some important point here?
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

According to citroen the cat is dead due to Old age and Mileage but it's only just due it's 100,000 Birthday and they recon that it will take 1.5hrs to do the cat and 2hr for the sensors which accounts for £187 plus vat of the total
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

I'm out of my depth here, but I do wonder why they're changing your sensors at your (considerable) expense, as well as the cat. I mean, logic would seem to suggest that either (i) the sensors are working well and they've correctly detected that the cat is indeed dead, or else (ii) they're faulty and the cat itself is perhaps perfectly healthy. I know that my own garage would have replaced one or the other to see whether it fixed the problem, rather than stiff me for both eventualities right away, just to be on the safe side.
My 1.8 Xant is still on its first cat at 110K, although it did need a spot of welding on the pipe at 80K. My first exhaust system lasted till 90K, which quite impressed me. It does do a lot of its mileage on the motorway, though, and that keeps everything nice and clean.
Best of luck, anyway.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Check an independant exhausts shop.
Fellow countryman can help. You could also check our host for the price of those 2 elements.
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Ask yourself do you really want to empty your bank account/wallet by chucking it at a bunch of citcrims. For £947.31 you could buy a number of older Citroen cars, and each one would, if you were reasonably selective, give you a couple of years motoring. I bought an XM for 250 quids have had it 3 years in Nov, and have done 6,000 miles in it. It cost 60 to change the oil pressure relief valve 20 for the oil change it did while the valve was duff. The dashboard light show is as regular as citwork (variation on clockwork) but just keep on driving and the result is economical motoring - er well would be if it wasn't a V6, but it's fun anyway. If I had to buy a car for work type driving I would run a million miles from citroen they're just to finicky. I don't like standing in front of the car with the bonnet open on the hardshoulder of the M whatever with one eye on the oncoming and the other on some damn relay, sensor, wire or ecu as I do guaranteed everytime. I know the XM is notorious but I still hear all the same stories from C5, abs lights on, spurious messages, warning lights flashing etc etc.. c'est la vie et c'est le citroen malheureusement - merde!
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Well much to my suprise Kwik-Fit have just Given me a price of £274 for the cat amost half of Cit's price. Just waiting on a few more prices to see if I can do any better.