Cambelt tensioner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

j_roc

Cambelt tensioner

Post by j_roc »

Well, ive finally got round to doing the cambelt on the Xantia. Im a bit puzzled about the tensioner though, I thought that it was a spring loaded type of tensioner - that tensioned itself???? I have had a search on the forum but cant find anything.
Anyone got any info on this, its not really a problem I am curious as I am sure that I heared that it was self tensioning? - Thanks Alex.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Is this a diesel we are talking about? If so, it does indeed have a spring loaded tensioner. Slacken the locking bolt above the pully and move the pulley to remove the tension, this can be done by pulling hard on the belt (if you are going to change it) when right back re tighten the bolt and it will lock the pulley in position until you release it again, which you do after refitting the belt. )XUD engine not HDI)
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Sorry, forgot to mention it's a 93'TD. I took the tensioner off and there aint no spring whatsoever. Im sure that somebody has been playing around with it before.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Interesting - mine was the same.
I levered the tensioner with a bar whilst tightening it, which worked OK - mind you, the belt was such a good fit that it would have run without additional tension anyway.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Job done - [8D] [8D] [8D].