BX Woes!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Will2cv
My Cars:

BX Woes!

Post by Will2cv »

Hi All
I'm after a spot of advice on my BX. It's a '92 TZD Turbo with 150k on the clock. Good engine, generally shabby! Currently it's list of ailments are: needs a clutch, an intermediate driveshaft bearing (or possibly o/s wheel bearing), sticky starter motor solenoid, dodgy alternator (doesn't charge initially, then springs to life after about 5-10 mins driving)and jammed inition barrel assembly.
Now I was gearing myself up to tackle this little lot, but on dropping the spare wheel I have noticed a lot of corrosion on the boot floor where it meets the rear panel. I can't see how to best address this as looking from underneath the corrosion goes through a box section, and is very close to where the towbar mounts. I haven't yet had a spirited screwdriver poke but no doubt this will reveal more. Would simply plating from the inside of the boot suffice as it looks pretty tricky from below?
Any advice would be appreciated, I'm kind of weighing up the options at the moment, it's a great car apart from the above and I don't really want to consign it to the bin just yet, but also the hassle factor is mounting up - what do you think?
Cheers Will[:(]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Ahhh Mr Regstrar of Registrars has appeared on the Andyspares forum (Hello:-)
My old 17RD was plated in exactly the same place, it was almost impossible to spot from the outside too. Just get the MIG out :-)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

What is it about 2CV owners all suddenly getting BX's?![:0][}:)][?]
Jon will probably be able to give you some pointers with this section, but sounds like a fairly common rot spot with the BX not irrepearable, just a pain in the bum. Break out the mig, tin snips and Ikea metal noticeboard!
Will2cv
My Cars:

Post by Will2cv »

BX's are THE car to have - this years 2CVGB registers day was a mini BX meet at one point with 5 parked together [:)] Hello to you too Stinkwheel - I must come and meet you in person at the next event!
I'll have a more detailed look at the boot floor rot, I'm quite glad I'm not alone if it is a common BX thing. Some of it does seem close to the fuel filler/small tanky bit though so I may have to exercise caution there. I think I will take the car off the road for a couple of weeks and tackle the whole lot at once.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Hi Will! Blimey, the 2cv'ers are really hitting the forum lately!
I went through my "2cv'er with a BX" thing back in 1999 and happily I'm over it now [:D][:p] !
Ian
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You will probably find that the rot starts from the exhaust hanger in the corner of the boot- at least thats where mine did!!!
A bit of flat plate bent to suit and welded up should do!! I did mine from inside- it was a lot cleaner and easier and didn't set my hair on fire doing it that way.............mind you, mines n/a so it doesn't have the supplementary tank to melt when you aren't looking!!
While you are poking with the screwdriver, don't jab too hard on the nearside front inner wing under the glow plug relay........thats another depressing place....[xx(]
Check the clutch operating arm before condemning the clutch- the standard one starts to crack and slowly and more or less invisibly break up, and it gives all the symptoms of a dying clutch-gears getting harder to engage, etc!! There's a modified and much better arm available[:)]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Dont worry Ian,
The 2CV'er with a BX thing will become terminal when you get a proper go in a 16v on a proper road, and after thatit will become 2CV'er with a CX turbo. hehe.
Will yes, must say Hi at some point, Ive been a lurker who liked to remain anonamous for years until recently when i seem to have met more people than i knew exsisted [:D]
Will2cv
My Cars:

Post by Will2cv »

Thanks for the info bxbodger, Think I'll tackle the boot rot from the inside then. Haven't noticed anything nasty under the glowplug relay but I'm sure it'll show itself when I look closer - knowing my car anyway [:(]
Good point about the clutch operating arm, I had heard that they can break. Can this part be replaced in situ or is it still a box out job? My cluch still has plenty of bite but it seems to be a mechanism issue half way down pressing the clutch pedal there is a 'clunk' followed by a kind of ticking sound. I initially assumed a broken spring or something strange happening on the pressure plate?
Anyway, thanks guys for your input, I'm more enthused to get on with the job now - it'll be cheaper than buying the 16v that I've always wanted [:p]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

no it wont, you will end up with one anyway, and rightly so.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Will, I used to find the clutch clicked when I operated it in my BX. That was just before the cable snapped! Turned out that the pedal box was also at fault. That was a 19TGD though so not sure if the mechanism is the same.
Ian
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Can this part be replaced in situ or is it still a box out job?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If your arm is faulty, its about the easiest job you can do on a BX to replace it- its one bolt on to of the bellhousing, but don't lose the little metal spacer rod.............[}:)]
Will2cv
My Cars:

Post by Will2cv »

Update - I've had a look at the clutch operating arm and that is fine. On sticking my head further into the engine bay with a assistant depressing the clutch there is a definite 'crack' sound coming from the pressure plate itself, so I guess it has comfirmed my fears about a mechanical failure there.
On the plus side, I have blagged space at a mates workshop on Saturday to do the job, which means 4-post lift, decent tools and engine hoist! Yippee!
Off to place a big order with GSF now.....[:)]
Will
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Has anyone a picture of the clutch cable linkages and adjustment details for the BX? Specifically a 1.9D if there are differences. I have found most of the Haynes manual on the web but not all of it!
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Buy the original brown Haynes - there are plenty about. I found 5 in the Oxfam shop in Swansea earlier this month! It has to be a charity shop that's not of the "squeaky-clean" variety, though. Some scrappers keep them , as do the sort of public recycling centre that picks out worthwhile stuff to sell.
chaseracer

Post by chaseracer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

What is it about 2CV owners all suddenly getting BX's?![:0][}:)][?]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Could be worse. Could be an XM...[xx(] (No stoppit!! It WILL rise again!)
Welcome, William!