2.1 revs dont drop

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Matthew
My Cars:

2.1 revs dont drop

Post by Matthew »

Hello my 2.1 td engine the revs don,t drop when changing gears, more than this sometimes go up without pressing accelerator. any ideas?
[:(]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Think a bit more info would help - car, year, type of injection pump, even mileage may assist.
Shot in the dark - its got the delphi pump - electronic version of Lucas/rotodiesel/CAV - and there's air getting in the fuel - potentially serious - can cause runaway - ie uncontrolled revving.
jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Try checking the connector on the accelerator pedal position sensor.
Matthew
My Cars:

Post by Matthew »

The car is 2.1 td xm 1995 with 73 k miles on the clock. It has suspected hg problems. The compression has been checked though and is ok, no smoke. Can hg problem contribute to my problem. Where to find and how to check pedal position censor. The pump is epic lucas.Tell me please jeremy more about air in the pump, because I saw bubbles in the fuel line ( not to many though) Thank you for your help.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The Roto-diesel pump relies on fuel to operate the control mechanisms and so air can cause problems with the with the control system which could cause the problems you are experiencing - and is relatively cheap and easy to cure. Air in the fuel can also cause starting problems.
The accelerator position indicator could also be a problem as John mentions - I presume this car has an electric throttle (no cable) and the sensor must be somewhere in the vicinity of the pedal and linkage (if any). The carbon track in the sensor could also be at fault.
jeremy
Matthew
My Cars:

Post by Matthew »

The car has acceleratorr cable. can hg problem contribute to uncontrolled reving?
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

I had this problem on my 2.1td 406 and the solution, as suggested on this forum, is the water temp sensor that is screwed into the thermostat housing. It is the one with the green connector. The new sensor should be about £10 from Cit/Pug dealer and takes about 15minutes to fit.
Hope this helps.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A '95 probably has a mechanicaly goverened pump but the same still applies. Check for air leaks around the fuel filter, especially if you have changed it recently, also check to see if it has a fuel heater, fixed to the n/s end of the cylinder head, these leak for a pastime, disconnect the two pipes and connect them together. I suppose you have checked that the throttle cable is not sticking?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Daft one we had with the ZX - the floor mat got caught in the accelerator - wife thought she'd found hidden power! - Its probbaly a bit more dramatic with a 2.1!
Same one's got me twice - I thought the clutch cable was sticking as it felt strange when the pedal was released - I even got as far as phoning to order one and fortunately this one is on a changeover and the code number is needed - when I went to the car to find the code it suddenly struck me!
jeremy