xm2.5 vsx estate versus volvo v70 d5se

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I concur with Nisk, I have never owned a 2.5, firstly because I looked under the bonnet of one and it frightened the life out of me, the Haynes manual did nothing to allay my fears neither have the reports of things that can go wrong and the difficulty in obtaining certain spares. I have had four 2.1s which are difficult enough to work on but I have managed to maintain them so far. The head gasket on the 2.1 is a pig, I have recently done mine and hope not to have to do it again! but a good 2.1 will go on forever and they have quite enough power for me (providing they are manual). Late 2.1 manual estates are getting very difficult to find and I have been tempted to buy another one to ensure continuity of use.
Crooser - I will be interested to know how they compare, when I have tried other vehicles, I have been very pleased to get back into my XM.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The Volvo will be faster and more economical but the XM will be more comfortable and cheaper.
When you come to sell the XM (£6000 is overpriced for it if you ask me), it will be worth absolutely nothing where as the Volvo will have some value left.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I've just remembered that the Volvo I drove had very sharp brakes. Breath on them and you are stationary. Sounds a little Citroen-esque! Haven't driven another modern with brakes that severe.
crooser

Post by crooser »

sad to say i bought the volvo but only because of the work involved doing the head on the xm which i would probably have to do one day in the distant future.after 14 years of having a very large diesel american estate[oldsmobile custom cruiser] i don't regard the xm as a big estate,but along side the volvo it's big because the volvo is a midget.the volvo is 10 inches shorter and over a cwt lighter.and now the real comparisons.lift both bonnets,with the xm you can't get a hand in anywhere because everything is so tightly packed,there is no room for air to circulate hence the red hot engines.the volvo has a 5 cylinder engine,33 more horsepower and yet there is a good 6 inches between the radiator and the engine wich means you can effect repairs or maintenance easily,at the back the turbo is in easy reach.comfort,the xm wins but only because of the suspension.with interior build quality the xm isn't even in the running.stability the volvo wins as it does with performance due to the more powerful engine.surprisingly the volvo is more economical.that big old gas cooker that you want to dump won't fit in the volvo but it will in the xm.with heating and cooling and instrumentation the volvo wins again.all i can say now is--- sorry.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Well there you are, thats what happens when you get your sensible head on!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Oh well. Each to their own I say! Can't criticise someone for buying what is a nice car. At least you didn't buy one of the silly jacked up "off road" ones! Well, I hope not...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Why wasn't there a C5 Estate in the running?
The C5 estate is a proper estate and comes with the 2.2 HDI which isn't as powerful as the Volvo D5 but should be more economical than the XM, you'd get a whole lot of C5 estate for £13000.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Yes but it is very ugly, with "evil" rear lights! Pains me to say it but I'd've chosen the Volvo. Granted, people assume that you like antiques but it is a nice motor!