Xantia front end too high.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Xantia front end too high.

Post by ktaylor21662 »

The front end of my Xantia is about 1.5 inches too high. The ride quality seems okay. What is likely to be causing this and what is the solution. I recently had a new drop link fitted at the front, prior to this, the ride height was okay. Kevin.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Not sure about the drop link causing a problem here but try previous posts on the adjustable height control settings in the search box, there has been plenty on this subject, be careful though, they (car!)can squash you.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ktaylor21662</i>

The front end of my Xantia is about 1.5 inches too high. The ride quality seems okay. What is likely to be causing this and what is the solution. I recently had a new drop link fitted at the front, prior to this, the ride height was okay. Kevin.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Did you fit the droplink yourself or did someone else do it ? It's hard to know without knowing what they did but the only thing I can think of is that they turned the rollbar excessively while the droplink was disconnected, perhaps bending the linkage between the rollbar clamp and the height corrector slightly.
Have a look at the linkage between the height corrector and the rollbar for any signs of damage, if it looks ok, try adjusting it - slacken the bolt where it clamps on the rollbar, twisting the clamp by hand (or maybe a small pair of pliers or a screwdriver) with the engine running will make the car go up or down, when its at the right height, tighten the clamp again.
Alternatively after loosening the clamp you can use the manual height control lever (without getting into the car) to nudge the height up and down until correct, then tighten the clamp again)
WARNING: The car MUST be driven up onto wheel stands, or on a hoist or over a pit as the car can KILL you if it goes down and there is not enough clearance between you and the ground. There must be ample room for you to be underneath when the suspension is right down. I use a pair of drive on stands...
Regards,
Simon
ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Post by ktaylor21662 »

Had a fiddle with the height adjuster. To no effect, however! Things do seem a little old and worn down there. I might treat myself to a new unit. Cheers for the advice, Simon. Kevin.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ktaylor21662</i>

Had a fiddle with the height adjuster. To no effect, however! Things do seem a little old and worn down there. I might treat myself to a new unit. Cheers for the advice, Simon. Kevin.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Whoa there.... its highly unlikely the height corrector itself is faulty, you don't want to go splashing out on money for it unless its proven to be faulty....
More info needed here: when you say the height is too high, does the height correct to that same height properly ? EG if you open the bonnet and with the engine running sit on the front, it should go down a couple of inches then about 10 seconds later come back up to the same height.
Getting off should cause the reverse. If this works properly then there is almost certainly NOTHING wrong with the height corrector itself.
When you loosen the clamp bolt on the middle of the rollbar (with the little rod that goes to the height corrector) you are disengaging the height corrector from being able to measure the height - if you now sit on the car it will go down a bit and not correct.
The only thing you have to do is somehow coax the car into being the right height while the clamp is slack, then tighten it again. Probably the best way of doing this is using the manual height control lever - just push it forwards a bit (not fully) until you see the front go down a bit, then put it back to the middle, then go and measure the height. If it is correct, tighten the rollbar clamp. If its too high or too low move the height control lever temporarily in the right direction then back to the middle and measure again.
All told it should only be a 10 minutes job. Remember the safety stands [:D]
On the other hand, if the height is stuck right up and wont correct for changes in weight, the problem may be something else. (Like a seized height corrector or control linkage)
The height corrector unit itself is an extremely simple and reliable device and they seldom give trouble. 9 times out of 10 it is something to do with the control linkage connecting to it.
There are two - one that goes from the height corrector to the rollbar, which affects the automatic height correction, and one that goes to the manual height control level which provides some manual override of the height. (Via the spring)
Regards,
Simon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Silly thought - it really is the front thats at fault - not the back thats gone down a bit makeing the car look nose up?
Jeremy
ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Post by ktaylor21662 »

I'll have a go (and check the rear on my next day off). Cheers again. Kev.