ZX Engine Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes of course you can specify - just depends if they can get the cheap ones I expect.
An alternative is to take yours to bits and ascertain what really has happened and how bad it is. The ridge at the top of the bores isn't really an indicator, its the ovality that counts and rings are quite tolerant. Fine engine though the TD is its no revver when compared to a petrol so balance problems aren't as great as they would be with a 16 valve.
Some of the forces are however considerable - I think I saw somewhere that on a Jaguar XK engine at 6500 rpm the force on a piston going over TDC whas the equivalent of hitting it with a 1 ton hammer! (Very long stroke engine)
jeremy
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Agree needs to be pulled apart to see how bad, what actually happened - afterall prices were worst case scenario. To be started this weekend......
while the engines out, how do i check steering rack for play as seemed to require more input (turn of wheel)to turn right than left - tracking was ok etc. or that p/s pump ?
maybe bleed new fluid thro will sort
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Steering is almost a result of negigence. I expect you will find that the tracking has been adjusted from one side only and the rack is not centred. Ideally peel back the gaiter and examine and set the rack in the middle of its travel. There's no reason why you can't do that from one side, measure full lock one side, same the other and split the difference. Rack now in middle so set wheel in middle, then set tracking of each wheel separately if you can. This may need some ingenuity but I can assure you is worth doing.
Just a word of warning - this isn''t a case of the rack locking solid is it - if it is the piston in the ram can drop off and lock the ram - disaster. I don't think this is your problem, just a problem of feeling a bit heavier on one side than the other - which is centralisation as mentioned.
Quick check is to mark the top of the steering wheel in the straight ahead position with tape or chalk, then turn to one lock and note the position, then do the other way - the tape should be in a symetrical position (ie for example 20 past and 20 to)
jeremy
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

yeah just feels slightly heavier one way than the other. Will do tape check and check symmetry.
looks like going to bite the bullet, strip it down at the weekend and get it checked/machined, spent too much on it recently to throw away/sell as spares, and a replacement engine will need stuff doing to it anyway... tho just been told of one in a zx P reg, £250 - going to check out on way home...
Time to call in some favours... [:)]