Which First?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jaguar306
My Cars:

Which First?

Post by jaguar306 »

I have a Xantia 2ltr HDI 90 on a V plate.
The rear suspension has gone very hard and I guess I should be changing the spheres? I imagine I should change all of them? Is it 2 front, 2 rear and one on the accumulator? so 5 in total.
Also need to hydraflush and change LHM fluid, should I do this after the sphere change or before?
Lastly will a normal oil filter chain wrench be good enough to undo and retighten the spheres.
thanks
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi, I'm not sure about the technical questions, but I can save you some skinned knuckles and five quid or so by confirming that a normal chain wrench will not be man enough to loosen the spheres ( It might work on the fronts if you're lucky, but it will surely snap like cotton on the rears !! ) ps. The spheres do not need a tool to tighten them on.. just as tight as you can do them by hand I think
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its unusual for the rear ones to go first, unless the fronts have allready been replaced, is the car riding at normal height? if not it could be a height corrector problem. If its Hydractive 2 it will have two wheel spheres and a centre one back and front.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter.N.</i>

Its unusual for the rear ones to go first, unless the fronts have allready been replaced, is the car riding at normal height? if not it could be a height corrector problem. If its Hydractive 2 it will have two wheel spheres and a centre one back and front.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not that unusual.
In many markets the Xantia seems to be fitted with the "long life" multilayer diaphram spheres (3 dimples by the filler) for the front strut spheres - and they seem to outlast the back spheres because of it.
If they're just standard spheres on the front then yes, they'll probably go first...
Regards,
Simon
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You live and learn!