Citroen ZX rear suspension noises

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheapskate

Citroen ZX rear suspension noises

Post by cheapskate »

I've been scaning this forum for about six months now and seen similar posts but I figure I may as well post mine as I've not found what I'm looking for.
My 1996 ZX TD Aura makes a clunking noise from the back end when going over bumps, this gets worse at low speed or when using the brakes. Been checked by two garages now, against my better judgement I even asked the MOT Tester to be extra vigalent around the rear subframe (Please find the fault and fail it I'm getting desperate). All reports have come back saying everything is solid and fine.
Both wheels are stood straight upright so I don't think it's the rear suspension arm bushes (I think thats what they are called).
New rear subframe bushes were fitted 20,000 miles ago and all was fine.
My best guess at the moment is, as the shocks haven't been replaced yet maybe they are knackered. (and this is a guess)
I,ve owned this car since 25,000 miles so I know for sure they haven't been replaced.
[?] Has anyone else done 120,000 miles on one set of shocks. If so did yours make any noises?
[?] How many miles have other people managed on one set of rear shocks?
[?] What was your method of diagnosing knackered shocks? If I bounce mine they appear fine.
If anyone has any ideas to throw in the pot then it would be helpful and I mean any ideas.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

providing you are testing the shocks after a longish run when the oil will be warm then your test is probably OK.
Could it be something like exhaust misalignment or something touching the subframe?
Jeremy
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

It does sound like it could be the exhaust tapping somthing.
I have refitted the exhaust but only with the car sat on it's wheels (suspension compressed) I will jack it up a few inches and recheck as like I say it seems worst with the back end a bit light. On the Brakes etc. realigning the exhaust wouldn't cost me anything so I like the sound of that.
Cheers
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

it could be the "baffles" inside the rear exhaust box. on my zx the baffles have worked loose inside the exhaust, so they rattle when the exhaust moves from engine vibration (eg when the engine is turning over slightly slower than the normal idle speed so that it vibrates)
stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

possibly the rear shock rubber blocks have perished and split.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi cheapskate, the noises you describe are a classic sign of a failed rear subframe rubber mounting(s) (the ones towards the front of the car) I know you had them changed a while ago, but were all 4 changed together ? The 2 subframe rubber mountings towards the rear of the car take about 10 mins to do, while the fronts are a bit more involved but still not a massive task... My ZX had the same symptoms.. just about drove me crackers till I found out what it was
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I agree - my old ZX had new rear shockers at 130K as a mistaken cure for the problem - it turned out to be knackerd subframe mounting bushes. Same symptoms as yours.
Not the end of the world - the rear rubbers you can do in about half an hour - ther front mounts take about half a day & two trolley jacks. Use the search and teh Haynes BOL.