BX radiator 1.7 DTR 1988

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pmhpmh

BX radiator 1.7 DTR 1988

Post by pmhpmh »

My radiator has developed a very slow drip, apparently from the n/s (UK) bottom of the matrix, although it does appear to be intermittent. I am aware that the cooling is a known weakness requiring a rad evey few years.
Whilst I am in France with it at the moment, I am concerned in case it lets go in a big way. Probably at the least convenient time!
I will explore some French breakers, but whether I will find a Turbo diesel god knows?
Checking out part numbers it looks as tho the DTR is a unique pattern. Does any body else know better. Is it because the intercooler air flow comes up the front of the radiator?
Is it a practical propostition to do do away with the intercooler? and use the much cheaper standard Diesel radiator? Are the hose configurations the same?
I may be able to borrow a Haynes which MAY show some extra detail.
If I have to pay £100 ish for a rad I will probably thro it away, which is a pity, because it has some good mechanical life left in it yet! Meanwhile I will continue to use it for local non autoroute use only.
It must have known I was singing its praises only 3 days ago.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The BX turbodiesel radiator pattern is unique.
Why not try a leak stopper ? Bars Stop leak is a wellknown and proven remedy for leaking radiators.
Before you do anything - make sure you have found the exact leaking spot. It's no fun to find a simple rubber hose crack at a hose clamp - when you have just purchased a s/h radiator. [8)]
On mine it was however a genuine radiator defect : one side of the clamped cooling element bracket had developed a nice 30cm long crack - which made the sidetank seal useless.
I guess you can in fact use the n/a diesel radiator - but my guess is it would be smaller and then your bottom hose (car's rh side) wont reach anymore.
A new radiator is more like £150ish [:(]
Edit - not that bad in fact :
N17326 RADIATOR BX TURBO DIESEL 110.00 (+vat)
You may try contact this Ebay seller :http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... =WDVW&rd=1
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

An N/A rad won't fit, the top hose connection is in a different position and the N/A doesn’t use a separate expansion bottle.
pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

You presumably mean 'normally aspirated' by N/A ????
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

DTR Turbo's and YZD Turbo's have a huge radiator. Its cost has nothing to do with the intercooler which is of course on the top of the engine.
It may respond to a sealer for the time being. I know the rad on mine started leaking from a tube at the cold end about a couple of years ago and I replaced it with new for piece of mind as as the thing was running rather well I thought ita bit of a shame to mess it up.
The TD radiator is far bigger than the NA diesel one (thicker) and the 16 valve one. The 16 valve and the TD share the same header tank arrangement, the others fill into a tank on the radiator.
Jeremy
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pmhpmh</i>

You presumably mean 'normally aspirated' by N/A ????
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Indeed[;)]