cx versus xantia tyre blowout ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

okeydokey, i bought my bx estate from a fellow forum member(not telling) after my 200k 205d it was a revelation,80 all the way back on the M3 onto the M25 in the r/works for T5 fr wheel fell off(nearside), fr of bx went down i stopped in fast lane thought i cant stay here, so i drove to the chevrons from the on ramp(no hard shoulder) got out of bx shaking slightly(crashed my bike at about a ton on m3,cars easier) the brake disc kept everything important off of the tarmac, i found the wheel with the bolts, thank god for wheeltrims, got recoverd,free in roadworks, bolted on wheel drove home(checked after 10 miles). Next day i checked it over, all appeared ok can only surmise that bolts not up to torque, wheel bashed the bumper and offside h/light broke. all threads etc ok 10k later still appears ok.moral check your nuts.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had a wheel come loose on M25. Simply most apalling rough noise from the front - so I pulled in and had a quick look - tried again and pulled up by a phone and found slack on NS wheel/suspension. I thought it was a bearing so phoned RAC and was recovered to home.
Next day I went to dismantle and to my surprise found the wheel bolts were slack and tightened them and all ok.
I'd had a pair of new front tyres fitted by halfords (now AA) and the boltholes on one of thr rims were very rusty. I suppose rust must have crushed with use and allowed the slack to develop between the bolts and their seats.
Seems from postings that its not unknown for bolts to come loose - any theories?
Jeremy
Jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>
I'd had a pair of new front tyres fitted by halfords (now AA) and the boltholes on one of thr rims were very rusty. I suppose rust must have crushed with use and allowed the slack to develop between the bolts and their seats.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The seats on the wheel rims can't really get a build up of rust, not to any thickness because they have the seats of the wheel bolts in them, any build up would have to stretch the wheel bolts, it would more likely rust the bolts up solid. The same is true of the other side of the wheels.
Most likely whoever put the bolts back in didn't tighten them up properly, some tyre places do tighten your bolts with a torque wrench, it's not implausable that they tightened them up so far ready for the torque wrench and then forgot to torque them, or perhaps they had the old rattle gun on the wrong setting.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

My brother recently complained of a funny noise front the front of his 306. Then a few days later he had I thought & checked the wheel nuts, all 4 were so loose he could undo them by hand. He rekons its because they were done up with a air gun, I pointed out that a airgun usally causes the opposite effect, he's done them up with a cracker bar now he reports all is ok.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Had a rear tyre blow on mine in Italy while doing 70 mph towing our caravan.Thought i heard a strange noise,but thought nothing of it.Until after about 10 miles(still doing 70)i decided to pull over.The rear tyre was bearly on the rim,compleatly shreaded.Could see the hole in the side wall where it had blown.Didnt feel a thing though.Never afected the handling at all.
Also had a flat tyre when i left work.Pumped it up,could`nt hear any air coming out,so left to go home.After about 20 miles,i came to a roundabout after doing 80 odd mph for a few miles.Went across it,but the rear end felt funny.Pulled over,tyre compleatly flat.It had been running on the side wall.Apart from the roundabout,never felt any difference.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I had a front tyre blow out in my old Gs estate, 65mph in heavy rain, over taking a hgv in the 3rd lane. The car made a noise thats all. Drove okay, so I though I would check. Pulled up on hard shoulder and a bar had gone through the side wall.
My dad didn't even know something was wrong.
Paul
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know why car manufacturers changed the wheel attachments from studs and nuts (much easier for an old duffer to fit the wheel) to bolts?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The only advantage I can see is that they are less likely to get damaged, as you cant hang the wheel on them, and easier to replace if they do. - unless anyone knows any different....
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter.N.</i>

The only advantage I can see is that they are less likely to get damaged, as you cant hang the wheel on them, and easier to replace if they do. - unless anyone knows any different....
I think its more about looks than anything else - on alloy wheels like those on the Xantia there is no wheel trim to hide the bolts, and if they were studs with nuts on them it would look a bit ugly. (And let water into the thread easily)
On the other hand, they are SO difficult to fit that I'm cursing every time I have to take a wheel off or put it back on - nothing to hold the wheel in place while you try to get a bolt in, nothing to guide the rotation of the wheel so that the holes actually line up, (was it too much trouble for them to include a locating peg ?) and the near impossibility of screwing the bolt in by hand to get it started to avoid crossthreading. [:(!]
Definately not a job for the ladies or a job for the side of a motorway on a dark rainy night...
Give me the studs and nuts with captive washers on the wheels on my old GS any day... [V]
Regards,
Simon
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Absolutely, that's why I asked the question.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds reasonable!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Guys,
I've told this story several times here. early last year a friend of mine purchased a '59 Citroen DS19 that was in Queensland, this guy lives in Victoria ... To give you an idea, think 3 solid days of driving to get home (8+hours a day of driving) ... thousands of kms).
Now this car hadn't been used for quite some time. He managed to get it to another friends place about 1/4 of the way home. There they spent a solid week on the car fixing all sorts of minor issues for the remainder of the trip home. A couple of hours out it started vibrating... The vibrating getting much worse with every passing mile. He couldn't pull off as he had a w@nk tank up his arse, however slowed from 70+mph to 55mph as the vibration got really bad. Then he saw a wheel dissapearing through the paddocks with what looked like a Citroen hubcup on it.....:EEK:
He lifts of the throttle rolling to a stop on the side of the road... Gets out and has a look at both back wheels .... bloody strange, they both there and look ok... Wanders down towards the front of the car and notices the FRONT LEFT wheel is GONE !!!!! The car is just happily idling sitting on 3wheels, it drove normally, didn't pull to the side ... nothing... No doubt the story would be different if he had stamped on the brake pedal.
Much to the amazement of the people in the w@nk tank that were following him, he hiked through the paddocks, retrieved his wheel, put the car on high, refitted the wheel and continued on his way. No doubt if the w@nk tank had lost a front wheel it would have cartwheeled down the road killing everyone inside.
Nothing, simply no other car (except the GS and SM) have the sheer safety and incredible suspension geometry of the DS.
seeya,
Shane L.
mjroach
My Cars:

Post by mjroach »

forget an ignorant pommie, but what's a w@ank tank?
sounds like fun actually, think i want one whatever it is[:D]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

You know a 4wd that weighs about 3tons, and is mostly driven by Yupee wannabe sh!t for brains middle aged women .... There called w@nk tanks ... 'cos you'd have to be a w@nker to buy one (and Patrol ie: Nissan Patrol... actually stands for w@nker in some language (german maybe) i forget).
The only thing more annoying than a sh!t for brains middle aged women veering down the road in a 3ton w@nk tank, is the same sh!t for brains middle aged women veering down the road in the 3ton rubbish tank with her fog lights on at everyone elses eye height ...
Would you guess... I don't have much respect for people that drive these bloody useless big heaps of junk just to "look good" ....
seeya,
Shane L.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>
He lifts of the throttle rolling to a stop on the side of the road... Gets out and has a look at both back wheels .... bloody strange, they both there and look ok... Wanders down towards the front of the car and notices the FRONT LEFT wheel is GONE !!!!! The car is just happily idling sitting on 3wheels, it drove normally, didn't pull to the side ... nothing... No doubt the story would be different if he had stamped on the brake pedal.
Drove normally ? With a missing front wheel ? Rolled forwards to a stop normally perhaps, but he wouldn't have been able to accelerate at all with one front wheel hub free to spin and a diff.... [:D]
By the way I've driven a GS for a short distance with one back wheel missing, but I wouldn't like to try a front one... [:D]
Regards,
Simon