Chances Of Fixing This One?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Chances Of Fixing This One?

Post by Ross_K »

I take it this is grounds for a new tailgate? I can't imagine a bit of polyfilla and a can of green paint sorting that out... You can really make it out in the third pic, but there's a hairline crack developing across the tailgate under the window rubber. [xx(]
A bin lorry reversed into it BTW... [}:)][}:)]
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

ouch! Where are you? I think I've a spare in black if your after one?
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Cheers, I might take you up on that. I'm wrangling with insurance companies just now though to get some compensation. Although the tailgate on its own is £370, and then the labour etc etc. Could work out to be nearly as much as the car is worth... [;)]
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

hi there, I wonder if it could be repaired by one of those companies that repair bumpers.. They reckon their repairs are almost invisible...
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

I dunno - I was thinking it's probably structurally f&%*$d. It looks to me like the cracks have spread since this morning...
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Depends how "bothered" you are about it. If you are patient, then you could fill it with some plastic bumper repair filler (not sure who makes it). Its black and i got some from our local motor factors for less than a fiver, and it is much much better than the normal white body filler. Sand it and sand the paint around, prime and then paint, use plenty of wet and dry paper, when you are satisfied with the finish, laquer it. Have done a fair few repairs like this, namely the bumper on my zx which was hanging off, and also the tailgate (someone drove into it),once repaired, you couldnt tell. Careful of the brand of paint you use, as in my experience, the more you pay the better you get (cheap aint cheerful).
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Do have to agree with Wilkobob comments, he's done a few and on the zx like he mentioned, you could hardly tell at all.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When glass fibre gets cracked like that the repairs are expensive, if it was the hull of a yacht it would be worth repairing, but since it's the back door of a ZX, I think a scrap yard tailgate is going to be more cost effective.
To fix it properly, you'd have to clean it up and remove all of the loose cracked GRP, then put some new glass in with resin, time consuming. After you'd done that it would need priming and painting.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'd be swapping the panel. In my opinion, once it was fixed, it would look as though it was fixed and would eventually scream at the rest of the car as the paint weathered.
Alan S
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Yeah cheers guys - I thought as much. I'd go insane filling that in. It'd probably disintegrate anyway next time a bird took a dump on it.
It's covered in duct tape at the minute, so that'll do until I hear back from the council's solicitor with regard to money...
BTW, just in case anybody's curious - it's £370 quid for a new tailgate on citroen-pr.[:0] Add in the labour for swapping out the glass, lock, etc and you're probably not far off the price of another 96 diesel ZX. [B)]
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Tailgate swap option, i'd be worried about filler falling out one day when closing the tailgate.
Paul
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Plenty scrap yards have Zx's in nowadays, I would look around, I saw 4 Zx's in our local scrap yard last weekend.
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mpr1956</i>

hi there, I wonder if it could be repaired by one of those companies that repair bumpers.. They reckon their repairs are almost invisible...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I had some damage repaired (Caused by a windscreen fitter) repaired by one of those companies and it was very, very good.
Even knowing where the repair is you can't see it.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This is a simple fibreglass moulding. To repair get some resin + hardner, some coarse mat, fine glass fibre paper and some filler. Clean up the broken bits and drill holes at the end of any cracks to stop them spreading. Cut mat to go over the holes and thoroughly clean the reverse. Mix resin and hardner and apply with a brush ( sacrifial) to the surrounds of the back, and stick the mat over the holes. When its held in place, stipple more resin in and let it set. Build up several layers of matting in the same manner to the original thickness or greater then simply fill and sand to shape, prime with the appropriate primer and paint.
Should be as strong or stronger than the original!
Jeremy
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

i would replace the lid with one off another car its not as hard as it seams ive already replaced 2-3 on xantias and BX's
Andy