Astonishing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rostami
My Cars:

Astonishing

Post by Rostami »

I have suddenly picked up a serious interest on the Citren SM.
Look at this sentence from a Maserati dedicated website...simply astonishing!!!
" The Citroen hydraulic system is totally reliable and apart from regassing the spheres every 10 years or so, & changing the LHM to remove dirt and wear particles, can be left alone. "
Website is: http://www.maserati-rc.org/techtips/Techtip011.htm
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Perfectly true assuming the hydraulic system and piping are in good order in the first place. Id want the spheres re-gassed (or changed) more often than every 10 years though) And this goes for all hydraulic citroens.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

What I am finding much stranger is the implication that even Maserati owners tried to replace LHM with brake fluid.
This is something I would not expect - considering the price of the car in comparison with LHM.
I have no idea what was the price of hydraulic Maserati, but my guess is that it must have been a fortune (even when bought from a second hand).
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes but its only DS hydraulics on the citroen SM
regards malcolm
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

The SM costed in 1971 USD12000...I am not really aware of how much this would be today. My father bought a Opel/Vauxhall Nova in 1976 in the US and paid UDS4000 so the SM "sounds" expensive!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Rolls Royce use it and their cars dont break down to often. I have done 100s of k miles with Hydryopnumatic and the only real problems have been, pipe failure and spheres and these are usually associated with high mileage or a corrosive atmosphere. Rustproof pipes and better quality flexible return pipes would eliminate most problems. You dont have problems with ageing springs or leaking/non working shock absorbers and its much easier and cheaper to replace the spheres, assuming you can get them undone.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Well Peter, it is a long and old discussion.
In theory I totally agree with you, the system works fine, and creates an empathy between suspension and breaks that makes the Citro´s so safe...self levelling, etc...
But...How many competent Citroen mechanics do you know? It doesn´t make sense to set-up a very good system if you can´t really guarantee propper maintenance...
The way I see it most people run away from hydroneumatic citroens like mice from cat, although they are technically innovative, etc, there must be a good reason for the lack of popularity.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you'll find that the hdraulic suspension is too difficult for many Rolls Royce mechanics and the self levelling rear doesn't work any longer. Presumably they aren't as incompetent when it comes to working on the brakes!
Jeremy