Activa Pads/Discs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

There is some very good info coming out here, I’ve seen drilled disks go too and its normally after they hit a certain heat level as the (drilled) holes will be a lot cooler than the rest of the disk and the difference in expansion makes them go with a bang, because of the heat they will also warp at the same time and this can finish off the calliper too (and lock a wheel). Drilling a disk only really works on ceramic disks (like that of the Porsche 911 )(£10,000 upgrade made by the company I use to work for)). grooved disks as stated will make a hell of a noise eat pads and give worse breaking (less surface area) however if you are an on road driver that finds there breaks fade this will be a solution you can use, my wife in her Activa suffers with this and teaching her to drive differently is beyond me as she has been driving for 10 years most of that in automatics in the states (and I’ve been driving now for what 1 month?).
Any way those of us with sense will never need anything more than updated vented disks, those of us who are more into motor spot will probably like the idea of less fade and something to look at...
Andy
basil40

Post by basil40 »

yes obviously in some extreme conditions drilled discs maybe an option - be we are talking about high performance cars here - not Activas. I work for a prestigious car company and on the brake test pad there is hardly that much difference in stopping distance with 200BHP + powertrain packages. Trust the design of the car - it is worked through rigourously and verified by CAE ( computer aided engineering ) and DVP ( design verification processes).