Xantia Tie/Track Rod End

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia Tie/Track Rod End

Post by PicassoPigeon »

While doing my brakes yesterday i noticed that the tie rod at the wheel end would twist with my hand and it would twist where it joins the wheel with the rubber sort of bung. I think i could do it on both sides, is this how it should be?
I do have a knocking noise that comes from the passenger side i think, just as the steering wheel is off centre when going around a bend in the road. Would this be the problem? MOT later today if i have time maybe they will pick it up?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its generaly possible to turn the track rod ends on their shafts - but there should be NO play. You can generally judge this by jacking up and gripping the wheel at 3 and 9 O'Clock or the hub with the wheel removed - alternatively get someone to turn the wheel while you grip the joint - play can often be felt.
If the steering wheel is off centre it can be for a number of reasons - such as someone has set the tracking from one side rather than both equally. If the car has recently started pulling to one side this may be due to a woirn ball joint. The rubber bit you describe is simply a dust cover but must be in place for the MOT. The actual joint is a steel ball attached to the arm from the hub and a nylon cup in the round-ended bit attached to the steering rack.
Jeremy
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Park the car with the wheel under investigation touching the kerb. This will have the effect of holding the wheel reasonably still and will mean that the track rod ends are subject to some force.
Get an assistant to rock the steering wheel from side to side (about quarter of a turn either way). Any play in the track rod end should be easily felt. If it's badly worn you should be able to hear it too.