I've bought an Activa - Now I need some help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robsons

I've bought an Activa - Now I need some help

Post by robsons »

Not from a quack either!
I'm on my 6th Citroen in a row but only my third hydraulic one so I'm fairly good with the green blood.
So I bought it blind on ebay for £620 (stoopid!) and I've now got it home it doesn't seem "that" bad.
BUT where to start. Anyone give some tips on where to look first with thes symtoms.
1)Rumbly knock from offside front over minor road bumps
2)Turns left very well (no roll) but rolls a few degrees whilst turning right
3)When playing Citroenobics sometimes it settles with the offside far higher than the nearside
4)Small pool of LHM under middle of rear "axle"
5)Although it's got 12mths MOT the brakes seem to be binding a bit
The good bits
1) All warning lights come on with the ignition and go out when running
2) It goes up and down with no odd noises
3) The Activa seems to work
4) Engine is a blinder
5) It gets 42 mpg
So what's first to treat?
Oh and I lied about the 42mpg (more like 24!)
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

1) Droplink?
4) Middle sphere?
5) Handbrake binding owing to lousy cables?
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

I have heard that one cause of lopsidedness can be caused by the ram binding on its bottom connection. It should slide freely with light finger pressure. I believe the cure is to work in some WD40. Never even seen an Activa so not sure if this correct.
Mark
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I suggest checking the LHM and eventually flushing the hydraulics.
robsons

Post by robsons »

Cheers Guys I reckon your right about the flush -
I'll replace the droplink tonight as GFS sent me a Xantia one instead of the ZX one I ordered previously (call it destiny).
Any idea where to look for the slight body roll when turning right?
And what tyres do you guys buy for these. - The one's on now are crap, cheap ones that don't do the handling justice (It could even be these causing the roll)
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

For the roll problem, my approach was to lube everything up. A "sprayable" aerosol grease was used. The ideia, as said before, is to make sure that you don´t have anything nasty stiking. The car became really softer. Be careful with those awful plastic clips that usually break.
For the tyres, I suggest the very best. Something like Eagle F1 or Primacy... Unfortunately my Activa was fitted with (new...) Dunlop SP200E which are absolutely terrible.
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

General consensus on tyres appears to be steer clear of Primacys at all cost. I have just fitted 4 Exalto2s after much deliberation and the ride seems softer, but I haven't done enough miles to judge them fully yet.
You should check out www.activanet.co.uk for discussions about tyres etc. Good site.
robsons

Post by robsons »

I had shortlisted Pilot PRIMACY. What was the problem with them? Failing that it was ZV3's from Avon. Anyone with experienece of them??
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

problem 1 common its the activa ram bush on the back (go to activanet.co.uk forum that is a common problem.
2 role controler under the front subframe is out of alinment this may seem like nothing but in the wet you will be prown to having the cars rear over take you on which ever side it leans.
3 is related to 2 and is the little sway bar bushes again activanet.
4 rear activa ram is leaking this it again on www.activanet.co.uk
5 check the anti rattle springs you may find they are the problem.
tire choice is also on activanet but Mich Exalto 2s at 15/55/205 and godyear egle F1's at 15/55/205 are the preferd choices. and yes these tires will throw your speedo out slightly but give you the best handeling and ride.
all the info is on activanet for all of this people will notice that myself and some of the activa owners are not posting on here so much any more this is because this info needs to be on activanet so that there is a good tech resauce avalble to the public.
Andy
basil40

Post by basil40 »

I can't argue with activav6uk. Tyres - I've got F1s on the front and hydraactive on the back - the F1s are awesome and I've driven that car to the limits of grip - with sports mode on you'll think that you are in a go kart.
robsons

Post by robsons »

Thanks guys
1st thing - I've tried to enrol on Activanet a few days agobut no-one's replied :(
In between looking after my other baby (My new three day old son!!) I've taken a quick gander under the car. The little ball joints for the activa system are now all greased up (They were all crumbly and rusty). The little box these connect to in the middle of the car looks <6mths old so that goes along with Andy's suggestion that it's out of alignment.
The rumble at the *front* offside sounds pretty much like a drop link so I will order another one anyway.
All greased up - the car now rises and falls evenly (with a few activa jerks now and again)
The leak seems to be coming from a junction box of sorts in the middle of the rear axle. I may tweak up the connections there
Anyway - I wont linger on - I'll wait to see if it's posted on your Activanet (when you post me a logon that is ;?)
patneenan
My Cars:

Post by patneenan »

Same here . I'd love to log on, but can't.How do we do it?
Andy : Please help?
robsons

Post by robsons »

I forgot to say - Thanks for the welcome guys. It's nice to get some constructive feedback. I looked at this (and the Activanet resource) prior to Ebaying just to make sure there was advice available. I hope I can feed back as much back as I feed in.
I'm also on the MGcars.org BBS as my other toy's an MG http://www.geocities.com/midgetv8
...However with kiddy No.2 there'll be little time spent on that for a couple of years
robsons

Post by robsons »

Found the register link - Doh!
I'll post on there from now on. Loads of info there. Now off to Citoen to get the little plastic blocks which ahave worn and a new droplink.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Ok for any one else with a problem getting onto the activanet forum, on the main www.activanet.co.uk webpage there is a link on the left (2nd down i think) says forum. click this and then you can register for the forum, at your request Pat i have set you an account up (8th of June) email me and i will reset you password unless you have my original email with the password included.
We have 110 memebers now so some people are finding there way through.
Andy