Rear suspension arms

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Rear suspension arms

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all, Question.....
Are the rear suspension arms from a Xantia estate the same as the saloon? and will they fit onto a saloon? They look the same, both same spec. I have checked pr-net but not too clear about it. The bearings seem to be going on my Xantia saloon, creaking as it rises up and going over bumps. I have found an estate that I can get them off for only £45 if I remove the myself.
Can you help?
Paul.
Forgot to say it's the nearside rear arm.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The bearings on the saloon are different to those on the estate. The estate ones are slightly bigger, therefore the kits GSF do are of no use to estate owners. GSF do the estate bearings but the plastic spacers need to be obtained from Citroen.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the donor car has done any sort of mileage they might be in a similar condition. New bearings are not to difficult to fit, you can get the outer ring out of the arm quite easily by running some weld, with a stick welder, around the inside of it, when it colls the ring will shrink and you can quite easily remove it with a couple of screwdrivers.
GFS do the bearings for £6:50 each or a complete repair kit for £21:00 I have just noticed that the estate bearings have a different part no and are dearer, so that should answer your question. If you are going to replace them I would do both sides.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry, that should have been 'cools'
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

1st- havent got a welder so I cant replace the bearings.
2nd- I really wanted to know if I could just take off the rear arm from my Xantia saloon and replace it directly with a rear arm from a Xantia estate?
Paul
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

In reply - 1. A welder isn't essential - there's a lip which a piece of pipe will sit on to knock the bearing out. 2. No! you can't - they're not interchangeable.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Paul I have a nearside arm from a 1.9TD xantia, car is an m reg had done 88k, bearings were all good when the car was running. Where are you based? £45 is a lot for one arm and especially if you're taking it off yourself! I can have it off and post it, if need be, for less than £45.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I live Near Bolton Lancs.
I have also just been onto the scrapyard and he has just said I could have it for £20 now...profit or what?
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Ok, if I go for changing the rear arm bushes, what do I need and what if the arm where the bushes fit is worn?
are the old bushes and bits easy to remove?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Unless its worn badly - nothing. As long there is enough metal to hold the bearing in position, Once its all held together with the bolt nothing is going to move. Fill the tube with grease when you assemble it, then they wont go again.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Right, bought a suspension arm repair kit from GSF. Had a look at it and it seems fairly straight forward providing the diagram on the box is correct. I will have to phot the bolt and arm/bearings as I remove them . Any other tips??
Starting the job in the morning (I hope) providing it doesnt rain....
Paul
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there, I did mine a couple of months ago, no real problems.. but make sure you use ALL the parts in the kit. I found that after I removed (i.e. chiselled and generally mangled) the plastic sleeve from inside the arm, then there was a small lip showing of the bearing carriers which allowed me to tap out the carrier from the opposite end with a screwdriver, working around a bit at a time. It's well worth doing a search on here and reading through peoples experiences..
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Lump hammer and long screwdriver at the ready, first aid kit given to wife, sleeping bag in shed....here goes!!!!!
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Cant get ABS sensor off, it's seized!! WD40 working on it.
Roll bar connected using torx bolts!!! not got any . Halfords here I come
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As you don't need to work on the end with the ABS sensor can't you disconnect it from the car and leave it in the hub unit?
Jeremy