Off To Norway

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Off To Norway

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Taking car from Plymouth to Norway crossing on the ferry from Newcastle to Bergen, car is having MOT on Monday so this weekend is service time. Need to do front brakes, disc's and pads any helpful hints to speed me along? I need to find out what disc's first, are the pads different for other disc's?
What else should I be doing before we go to Norway? leaving on the 12 Aug so have some time to do jobs.
Oil, Oil/Air Filter change
Front brakes
Anymore things to add? This is where i get a nice big list back from you guys in the know.[:D][:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Even in Norway it's summertime now [;)]
My guess it's much like driving in the Highlands over there - so watch out for sheeps & norwegians [:)]
- btw most of the norwegians drive the wrong side of the road - can be challenging not following their habit [8D]
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Stick to the speed limits Gav!! and don't drink (if you can afford it) and drive, even the smell of alchohol is enough if you're stopped. instant fines for minor excesses can ruin a wonderful holiday in a country with fantastic scenery and friendly people.
Where abouts are you going?
Chris
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Make sure you take any RHD specific bits-a clutch cable springs to mind!!
Even if you can't fit it yourself at least if it goes you can get a garage to do it without having to wait a week for one to come from England!!!
Have fun[8D]
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Going to drive from Bergen to Vågå, staying there for 2 weeks. It's a little known village north of Lillehammer, and about 18 miles north east of Otta. Very nice place. Was there in May for two weeks and looking forward to going back. Not that many sheep, but the ones I saw were fenced in the fields and they had great big bells on, so you could normally hear them before you could see them. Plenty of Norwegians though - without bells. Most of them driving either Xantias or Xm's. Or Volvos obviously.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I've a trip to Spain next month so I’ve the same task! My check list:
Under bonnet
Check all hoses and drive belts and take spare belts. Check your engine oil, LHM, coolant, washer water and gearbox level. I’m taking a spare clutch cable, drive belts and a fuel filter. Also taking oil, water, 2 litres of LHM and washer tonic.
Run the engine up to temperature and make sure the radiator fans cut in.
Outside.
Check the suspension for leaks and all suspension joints for play and security. Have a look at the drive shaft boots for splits and security.
Tires - Pressures and condition/depth including the spare.
Give your Zant a road test and listen for any strange noises from the wheel bearings and suspension.
I’m also taking 2 warning triangles, spare bulbs, fuses, fire extinguisher and reflective jacket. Take a selection of spanners, sockets, pliers, cutters, mole grips, screw drivers,hammer duct tape and cable ties. As my BX is not in the first flush of youth, I'm taking a small trolley jack and a pair of axle stands.
Not exhaustive but a start.
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

I heard of being prepared for the worst but... you wont have any room for your suit cases[:)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Actually Dave, why not fit the towbar to the BX and use the A-Frame to tow Vera with you = whole spares car, would make life simpler.
RE Discs and pads - not too difficult so long as you start with the correct bits and dont try and make 2.1 pads fit the 1.9 (my mistake). Slow and methodical and remenber you have to WIND the piston back in on the HP Citroens - H-BOL covers it in enough detail to do the job in an hour or two (or four if you have the wrong bits).
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Well front is in the air, so far i have both wheels off and started on the drivers side. Got the caliper brake pad pin out and removed old pads moved caliper out of the way but cant undo the T55 bolts holding the caliper support onto the hub. Also cant undo the bolts holding the disc's to the hub very hard and very rusty. I have given everything a good going over with WD40 but still nothing and now the rain starts.
I think i may have rounded on of the bolts holding the disc on the hub and also the end of said torx bit while trying to get the disc undone.[:(!][:(!] HELP
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Make a note of the following homepage: http://www.citroenxm.nu/
Admittedly its for the Norwegien XM club, but they can probably help you with a Xantia as well (lots of similar solutions/engines etc.) They can speak English, so don't worry about the language. - A very nice bunch of people.
//NiSk
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nomad</i>

I heard of being prepared for the worst but... you wont have any room for your suit cases[:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good job it's only me in the car then!
gav.
You can drill out the disc to hub torx bolt, drill the head off with a large bit and do it just enough to get the disk off. When the disc is off, the rest of the bolt may come out with mole grips, if not leave the rest in place to locate the new disk, you can live without it.