XM non-starter motor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

William

XM non-starter motor

Post by William »

I've started having to tap the starter motor on my xm 2.0i in order for it to go, possibly due to a sticking solenoid. How hard is it to remove the whole motor to give it a good clean and is it worth doing anyway? Also when the engine is up to running temperature and ticking over the oil, coolant, brake and stop lights flicker even though all fluid levels are fine.The lights go off with a touch on the throttle. Any advice gratefully received.
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

if it's the 8v non-turbo, the starter's not too hard to remove, 3 hex/torx bolts if I recall. I've a spare one for a 2.0 in my garage, mail me off list at aengus-xmv6 at blueyonder.co.uk if interested.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The flickering lights sounds like the oil pressure switch playing it's game. This would set off the other lights as well IIRC.
It could be as simple as your engine's idle setting that's too low to keep the oil pressure sensor switch calm.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

or even the switch itself failing - but don't 'shoot the messenger' and ignore everything. generally if the switch fails the light will start coming on randomly - and look just like low LHM level or other problem which obviously is serious.
jeremy
William

Post by William »

I've also noticed that both of these problems only occur when the engine is warm. It always starts from cold and sometimes when it's warm it turns over slowly and I get the K light on after it starts.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

As regards the starter motor, if it's anything like a BX, the carbon brushes sit on the rear of the commutator and sit onto a flat surface as opposed to sitting on the side and a circular surface in a lot of cases, as a result as they wear, they get sticky and the springs that hold them against their working surface also lose tension with heat & age. The chances of it being a solenoid are there, but more likely I'd suggest it will be the carbon brushes.
Not all that hard a job to rebuild if you have the time and patience to have a fiddle.
I did it on a BX and detailed it here
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23512
which should give you some idea of the amount of time & money involved.
Alan S
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I'd have to agree with Alan about the starter - and if the flickering lamps stop when the engine is revved I'd also say your alternator is in the same condition - worn brushes.
//NiSk