Xantia 2.1TD Strange Engine Behaviour

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jay B
My Cars:

Xantia 2.1TD Strange Engine Behaviour

Post by Jay B »

Hi Guys,
I have a Xantia 2.1TD SX Estate with 160k on the clock that has been in our family from new.
Over the last month or so, the engine has developed some "interesting" habits.
The first sign I had of some problem was starting the engine from cold after using the glow plugs the engine fired and revved to 2500rpm by itself - then stopped.
I tried to restart it after a minute or two, once again using the glow plugs. This time the engine started and stayed running. The idle however was not consistent and very lumpy. After a minute or two it did however smooth out.
I now get either the lumpy idle, or both issues whenever i start the engine from cold.
Over the last few days an extra noise has appeared on occasion whilst driving - it is a rather harsh noise not dissimilar to bad pinking on a petrol engine - this noise will only occur for about 1 second - but it is enough to get me concerned!
Can anyone help me solve these problems or point me in the direction of someone who can?
Many thanks in advance!
Jay B.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Start with the simple bits first! look for air in the fuel. Look for leaks, loose or perished pipework etc, and if necessary replace the last bit to the injection pump with clear plastic and then look for bubbles.
Remember there is no lift pump so all the pipework from the injection pump to the tank is under vacuum rather than pressure and so a leak will probably let air in rather than fuel out.
Jeremy
Jay B
My Cars:

Post by Jay B »

Hi Jeremy,
Thank you for the prompt reply!
I'll be giving the pipework a good check after work tomorrow! I'll report back on what I find - if anything.
Regards
Jay B
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If it isn't an air leak in the fuel pipes as Jeremy has suggested, it could be running on engine oil. If it was running on engine oil, it would be smokey and that would explain the pinking noises, if the engine is taking in oil and detonating it, there is no timing control on the oil being burned.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldn't think it would run on engine oil from cold, needs to get hot to vapourise. Check if it has a fuel heater on the n/s end of the head, they go pourous and let air in, just disconnect the pipes and join them together.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It would also need frequent topping up if it was running on the sump oil.
Is this the Delphi - epic pump? If so its the good old Roto Diesel - CAV - Lucas one with some electronics and probably has the same hydraulic controls which do strange things if air is present.
Jeremy
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

it should be an epic, the anoying thing is its probably just a sensor. as the throtal is electronic along with pretty much everything else. on a side note if you deside to get rid i have an engine hear dieing for a car :P
Andy
Jay B
My Cars:

Post by Jay B »

Hi guys - thanks for all the posts with ideas.
I had a good look at the hose work and couldn't see any obvious cracks or splits in the pipes. What was obvious in the clear fuel lines was the presence of air bubbles!
I decided to give the priming "bulb" as few squeezes to see if more bubbles appeared - and sure enough they did - then the problem showed itself!
A spray of diesel was coming out of the Z shaped hose that joined the priming "bulb" to the clear hose that goes to the fuel filter!
So i duly changed this, gave her a new fuel filter and tried her - starts first time with no stuttering.
Thank you very much guys for your help - here's hoping that the other problems were directly related to the air leak!
Kind Regards
Jay B