Berlingo rattle!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sponix
My Cars:

Berlingo rattle!

Post by sponix »

My 2001 Diesel powered Berlingo Multispace has developed a strange rattle, almost like a knocking sound..
When driving it appears to be coming from the nearside wheel, although passengers don't seem to know where it's coming from.
It only occurs at speeds less than about 30mph and only when going over bumps although the rattle doesn't always coincide with the bumps!
Nothing obvious is falling off and I have secured the airfilter canister with cable ties (Temporarily) to stop it moving about. I have also removed everything from storage bins on the chance these were making the noise.
I'm not sure if it is something to do with suspension of whether it's a piece of trim come loose although I have had a quick look over the vehicle but can find nothing obviously amiss.
I don't think it's anything to do with engine/gearbox/driveshafts as it still makes the same noises if you coast with the clutch pedal down.
Does anyone have any ideas? (I believe the front suspension is the same as the ZX if this helps)
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Just to add if I 'bounce' the front suspension it doesn't do it!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You may say it's a bit early for a '01 car - but it sure sounds like a droplink IMHO ...
Try a slow drive on a level road. A dry droplink joint would make a sound that is exactly similar to a rattling loose worn droplink.
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Had a similar noise on my 205 once-turned out to be a track rod end.
Wouldn't the car make the same noise if I 'bounce' the suspension?
Is there any easy way of confirming one/both drop link bars need replacing without removing them first? Is it worth trying to spray WD40 (?) under the rubber cover to see if that quietens them down a bit?
The car has done around 35000 miles.
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

UPDATE:
Just had a look and both front tyres are 'feathered' along the outside edges.
Is this indicative of a worn grop link?
(Obviously it could be that the tracking needs adjustment)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Excessive wear on the outside edges of the front tyres is a sign of excessive toe in. I expect the rack on the berlingo is behind the front wheels and so on a front wheel drive vehicle the trend is for the rack to be under tension and so wear would allow the front wheels to toe in under acceleration.
So probably wear in a track rod end (quite severe!) or inner rack joint or even bottom swivel joint (bottom of strut to wishbone.)
Jeremy
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Could a worn drop link be the cause? Presumably the car would tend to roll more when cornering, thus exposing the outside edges of the tyres to the road. Or an I talking rollocks?
I'd have thought if it were a single track rod end worn it'd only feather the tryes on one side.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No a droplink wont in fact do much harm but the noise - until it fails completely.
With your tyre info I defo shift towards Jerymy's proposals.
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Update: It is the passenger side droplink that is causing the problems.
For future reference I diagnosed it using the following method:
1. Turn roadwheels such that the side under investigation is facing inwards.
2. Jack the car up such that the front wheel is just touching the ground.
3. Place a bar between the anti roll bar and lower wishbone and push downwards. (I used a long jack handle) so that the anti roll bar is being pushed downwards and the wishbone up. The worn drop link joint makes a clear 'clonk' and movement can be felt at the worn joint.
All other suspension joints are OK, as is the tracking so I can only assume that the worn joint has caused the vehicle to roll more (Well, it is a top heavy Berlingo) which has caused the outsides of the tyres to wear when cornering. (The fact that I tend to corner at speed probably does nothing to help!)
(Just to clarify, Andyspares lists an "Anti roll bar link" which I assume is another name for droplink?)