About anti-sink

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Frenchie_SCG
My Cars:

About anti-sink

Post by Frenchie_SCG »

Hello everyone,
What are the reasons for the anti sink sphere to get ruptured? I have a good idea about suspension spheres, but was wondering about this sphere, mine is flat so i will try refilling it if it's not dead.
Cheers!
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

My mechanic told me that if the LHM is too dirty it will reduce the lifespan of the membrane.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Frenchie_SCG</i>

Hello everyone,
What are the reasons for the anti sink sphere to get ruptured? I have a good idea about suspension spheres, but was wondering about this sphere, mine is flat so i will try refilling it if it's not dead.
Cheers!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Like any other sphere the main cause of rupture is when the gas pressure gets so low that the diaphram is forced so high up inside the sphere at the operating pressure that it starts hitting the top.
A suspension sphere is much more likely to rupture due to the movement of the suspension hammering the diaphram into the top all the time, but accumulator and anti-sink spheres will eventually fail too if they're left to get that low in pressure.
As well as the middle of the diaphram hitting the top putting stress on it, if the pressure gets extremely low, the way the diaphram is shaped (essentially a bladder attached at the filler plug, which "rolls" around the inside edge of the sphere) the oil pressure will force the bladder to fold back on itself and the tight creasing of the diaphram material no doubt permanently damages it.
This is why if the pressure of the sphere is below about 50% of normal at the time you try to refil it, its generally considered not worth trying to regass it, as the diaphram will be fatigued, and if it is nearly completely flat the chances of it regassing and lasting any useful time are close to nill.
On the other hand always regassing spheres before they get below about 50% normal pressure can make them last much longer than normal, and can result in a successful second or third regass over the years...
Regards,
Simon