ZX Boot noises

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

russellfowden
My Cars:

ZX Boot noises

Post by russellfowden »

Anyone come across an annoying rattle/squeak from the boot area of a ZX? Can't track it down, I've had people in the back seat trying to identify it with the back shelf removed with no joy. Driving me mad.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

I know what you mean, I have had people sat in the "boot" before looking for noises. You may want to try that. Is the noise travelling up. Give the spare wheel holder a shake, rust can cause minor irritations such as this. Also give the exhaust a shake, it is rubber mounted but you may recreate the noise somewhere. Have a look in the hatch where you can acccess the lock etc. A bit of WD40 here and there on hinges may stop it.
handman

Post by handman »

you might just check to see if the exaust is touching - soemtimes more noticed when people in back
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Hi,
Happend to me with the Bx when I just got it. Afters weeks of frustrated driving around (taking speed bumps smoothly but having the car rattle kind of takes away the pleasure) I found that the jack lived in the spare wheel and was rattling about. Took the wheel off jacked the jack out (?!?)to wedge it in the wheel rim. Took care of the noise.
Niek.
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

Many attempts have been made to de-squeak a zx. I have various antirattle mechanisms often involving blue-tac. I think I know the high pitcthed squeak you talk about I have not yet discovered where this comes from.
I think that if the car rattles badly you should look at the tyres, a back wheel not balanced properly also makes a difference. Also look at the 'sandwhich' mountings one of these had given way on my car resulting in very loud squeaks.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

I have had that problem with my ZX. I tracked it down to the rear windscreen wipe motor. The electrical regulator which is screwed on to the motor has a tendance to break off and rattle about.
On the inside of the bootlid there is a plastic cover, remove this to expose the rear wipe motor. You should be able to spot the regulator because it is a black black with Valeo written on it. WHich should be screwed on to the motor.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

I have had that problem with my ZX. I tracked it down to the rear windscreen wipe motor. The electrical regulator which is screwed on to the motor has a tendance to break off and rattle about.
On the inside of the bootlid there is a plastic cover, remove this to expose the rear wipe motor. You should be able to spot the regulator because it is a black black with Valeo written on it. WHich should be screwed on to the motor.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Just wondered if anyone has managed to come up with a solution for this one - I'm suffering too...
I have a rattle from the boot area of my ZX that's really only noiceable at "around town" speeds (just when it is at its most irritating...). I've checked the exhaust, temporarily removed the spare wheel hanger, checked the wiper motor assembly and left its cover off and STILL I have this really annoying rattle. Worst thing is that it's almost imposible to locate: Spent a fun afternoon yesterday being chauffeured around town by my girlfriend while sitting in the back trying to locate the source with absolutely no success at all [:(]
I would be grateful for any suggestions as I'm rapidly running out of ideas....
Thanks in advance
Ron
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sorry don't know about the squeek, just reminded me of a squeek on an old Landrover belonging to my friends dad when I was a youngster.
Riding in the boot listening for squeeks would have been a luxury, and safer, ever ridden on a Landrover front wing at 30mph, bonnet up and with your juff in the engine compartment, mates dad steering with his juff out the window to see where he was going, scary stuff.
Turned out to be front propshaft hardy spicer.
Hehe bloodyhell another daft caper on the same farm, water skiing through flooded fields being towed behind a morris 1000 on 50ft of rope, sat in an upturned BMC lorry bonnet, that was the ski, good fun (silly bugger) back then.
Than there was the life threatening serious stuff, lucky to be typing this really[:I]
Dave
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

good grief......
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

SORTED!!!!!![:D]
This may seem really obvious but trust me it wasn't. I eventually found that the noise stopped when the car was driven with the rear hatch open. Even though there was absolutely no play in the catch mechanism and I was unable to rattle the hatch manually, I found that by wrapping a layer of insulating tape around the metal loop that the catch locks on to, the noise stopped!
I seem to remember seeing a thin split plastic tube on some cars around this same area. no doubt there to take up any slack in the system. I am SOOOOO pleased [:D][:D][:D]
janneman63
My Cars:

Post by janneman63 »

rabenson wrote:SORTED!!!!!![:D]
This may seem really obvious but trust me it wasn't. I eventually found that the noise stopped when the car was driven with the rear hatch open. Even though there was absolutely no play in the catch mechanism and I was unable to rattle the hatch manually, I found that by wrapping a layer of insulating tape around the metal loop that the catch locks on to, the noise stopped!
[:D][:D][:D]
I was so happy when I read this and really must thank you for this solution. :D :D
In truth, I was on the verge to take the car to the garage to have someone check out the suspension and such "things". Now the car is without the annoying creak and I just had to pay for a roll of insulating tape :)
Volvo 66-77
Renault 14-79
Simca Horizon-79
Citroen Visa-82
Citroen BX 16-86
Citroen BX 19-88, the best one I yet! Sorry to see it go
Citroën ZX 1.8i-93
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Excellent! - Glad to be of help! :D :D
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k