xsara overheating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deeru786
My Cars:

xsara overheating

Post by deeru786 »

hi could any1 help my xsara t reg vtr has startedhitting 95 on temp gauge, radiator is fine etc, water pump ok, sum1 has advised me temp sensor which is located on the thermostat housing mite need renewing
any ideas
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

For the cost of a sender unit it is worth trying. 95 is not that high, have you checked to see if the flow is OK? can you feel a lower temperature from the bottom hose to the top one? I would also check your thermostat as this is the most likely problem. Take it out, immerse in a pan of water and see if it opens fully as it starts to boil.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Again for the price of a stat from GSF it's possibly worth draining the system and replacing the stat and coolant. You can test the guage by shorting it out. Basicaly unplug it and bridge the wires in the plug. If the guage goes off the scale (up) that works ok. The stat is only a couple of quid. How old, how many miles and how old is your VTR?
deeru786
My Cars:

Post by deeru786 »

hi thermostat works and the pipes r cool wen going into radiator, my car is t reg 1.8 90k on clock. sum1 advised me of the sensors on the thermostat housing , any ideas
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Is the fan kicking in when it hits the high temps?
deeru786
My Cars:

Post by deeru786 »

hi yes both fans r kicking in at high temp is well
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I'd still go for the stat my self. It may have jammed shut just a little bit, but just enough to allow the system to over heat.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

At that age the radiator could be clogged. The car will have a crossflow radiator with headers at each end. On old fashioned cars the headers were at the top and bottom and any sludge collected harmlessly in the bottom one but with a crossflow one its the bottom tubes that are used instead.
If you run your hand accross it the element should feel even in temperature from top to bottom and getting progressively cooler from right to left as you face the engine. If its cool at the bottom - there's your problem.
You may be able to clear the sludge by flushing if you are lucky.
Jeremy
deeru786
My Cars:

Post by deeru786 »

hi radiator is warm all over