Found Activa has 2 different driveshaft diameters

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

basil40

Found Activa has 2 different driveshaft diameters

Post by basil40 »

This is the continuing saga from my last poisting - wheel bearing keeps failing. Today I tried to fit some new brake discs and noticed that one drive shaft was different in diameter to the other. So, I phoned up the cit dealer who had refurbished my drive shaft to see if he had made a mistake. He was adamant that he replaced the original. This can't be true surely! more importantly am I at risk?
Couldn't get one disc off - the holidng screws are siezed in.
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Basil
The same thing happened to me when i replaced my front discs, all i did was drill the screw head enough (i used a 10mm drill bit)to release the disc & then used heat to release what was left of screw or leave remains there as wheel bolts will hold disc in place.
John
basil40

Post by basil40 »

thanks, thought of that already. Will run it tomorrow, generate a bit of heat and try to break it again. If that fials then I'm off with its head.
Does anybody think that having a smaller drive shaft diameter is odd - smaller on the side where my wheel bearing keeps failing.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If the splined part isn't the correct diamter, it could have play on it, so that when the drive shaft drives, it could get out of alignment and try to apply torque in the wrong way, i.e. putting a load on the bearing that it isn't supposed to be exposed to.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

If the splined part isn't the correct diamter, it could have play on it, so that when the drive shaft drives, it could get out of alignment and try to apply torque in the wrong way, i.e. putting a load on the bearing that it isn't supposed to be exposed to.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That is a really akward theory - but never say never with garage people ...
Its quite easy to test : release the hub nut both sides and look for any unduly slack on the axle stub in the hub. It should slide firmly in/out (in fact tend to stick) - but not have the slightest sidewards movements.
basil40

Post by basil40 »

I can't understand why they should be so different? I know people won't try to incriminate or imply a potentially awkward situation, but I know this is not right and I will talk to some chassis engineers tomorrow to get their angle.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

According to the parts list from a Swedish internet supplier I have regularly used, the Xantia Activa hub has 25 splines while the standard Xantia has 15 splines - so I doubt you could even get the wrong driveshaft in there. The reason that the driveshaft are different diameters could be that one is solid while the other is hollow. I know this was the case on my '93 XM TD12. As long as the splines on the ends of the shaft are correct, the shaft diameter may not be that important.
//NiSk
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

exactly right, one size is hollow on is solid, should make no difference to the car. There is an active post on activanet.co.uk about this at the moment.
Nisk I've had a couple of people ask me what the TD12 is from memory in your contry (or just you refer this to the XUD11ATE/BTE which is the 2.1 L turbo D (in your case with it being a 1993 its a XUD11ATE). Could you just confirm this and it has aparently caused some confusion.
Andy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Perfectly correct Andy! It even has the model name TD12 on the trim panel at the rear of the front wings.
//NiSk
basil40

Post by basil40 »

ok, that could make sense actually as near side more likely to see heavy loading. I'll stop worrying now.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

thanks NiSk,
Basil are you any ware near the midlands? i would be interested to have a look see, also i may have a spare set of activa front hubs comming up soon, your welcome to swap yours out and see what happens (again if your in the midlands i will help you swap the unit out.
Andy
basil40

Post by basil40 »

I am in Worcester, work in castle bromwich. I was just thinking about replacing the entire front sub system on my way to work this morning - how strange. Ram is giving some probs too, but not terminal. Would welcome your appraisal.
basil40

Post by basil40 »

Folks, found out that probalby the near side is solid due to drive shafts being off centre - shorter one is solid!!
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I'm in redditch so you have to drive past me every day! if you want to get together give me a shout via email (andyc@activanet.co.uk)
Andy
basil40

Post by basil40 »

will do - thanks a lot ActivaV6uk