CD multichanger

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sir Clive

CD multichanger

Post by Sir Clive »

I've just acquired a nice new Clarion multichanger, mounting bracket, and cable....but no instructions. For seventy quid I'm not complaining though.
Am I right in thinking its fitted under the drivers seat, and that you have to remove the seat to fit it?
Where does the other end of the cable plug into, its about four feet long!!
Will the car have to be told about the multichanger, or will it just work by itself. Visions of a trip to my c**p dealer and trying to explain what I need doing.....
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Righto, I take it you have a 4035 head unit with a 'CD' button on the front? The lead you should have with a Clarion is a round din type one. I fitten mine in the boot of my car screwed to the back of the passenger side seat. The cable (a good 6 foot long one) went through the steel panel the seat rests on (I drilled a hole), then under the rear carpet near the door seal, under where the front passenger seat belt assembly goes, under the front passenger carpet, under the front passenger kick panel and to the head unit. There should be a round socket on the back of the head unit that the cable plugs into. As soon as it's plugged in, it will just work when you press CD providing there are CD's in the cartridge!
Providing you have a later car (i.e a MKII) then you will have a Clarion unit and your CD changer will fit, providing you have the CD button on the front of the head unit, thus making it a 4035. Earlier cars came with a Blaupunkt head unit, which had a wide plug and used different CD changers. The head unit is easy to pull out (remove the trim around it which is held on by 2 screw above the ashtray) unscrew the 2 screw holding the head unit in and pull it out to see what plug it takes.
I put mine in the boot to make it a proper job and because you could still see the unit under the seat and so would be worse for thieves etc.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Thanks for the info. Chrispy. The head unit is the one that came with the car, and as the CD changer was an option, I assume the plug on the cable will fit into a socket on the back of the unit. Finding just *how* to do the job physically is another matter.
Regards
Philip
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Well, not all cars were fitted with CD ready head units. It has to have a CD button on the front to work.
The hardest part is the routing of the cable from the changer to the head unit. That took me a little time as I had to get it all the way from the boot to the dash. Provided your head unit is a late one, with a CD button on the front and a round din socket on the back for the changer, all will be well. It's just plug and play.