Drum brakes. I hate them.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Taking the wheel bearing apart each time you want to take a look wasn't fun on older designs either.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

No but many - take wheel off, undo a couple of screws and the drum came off in your hand. Good twin leading shoe setup could be very powerful and pleasant unless you used it hard. (Mind you as someone posted earlier they were fun when you went backwards!)
Jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Taking the wheel bearing apart each time you want to take a look wasn't fun on older designs either.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think that's more on "cheaper" designs rather than older ones.
My Landrover (which I know I have harped on about far too much in the past) has Drums all round, and no servo assistance. They work just fine, although do need a good shove on the pedal.
As far as I knew, Disk brakes always used to be far more costly to manufacture, mainly due to the manufacture of the calipers. Ever had to buy a new one? Especially compared to a brake drum wheel cylinder. Caliper - £120. Wheel cylinder - £15. Multiply that difference by 4, and that's why it was only ever expensive cars that had disc brakes.
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Also, take into account that a car with disks also needs servo (£££s) whereas a car with drums all round generally doesn't have a servo.