xm wiring diagram - cooling fan problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ivan olsen
My Cars:

xm wiring diagram - cooling fan problem

Post by ivan olsen »

hello,
the fans in my Gen1 2.1TD xm are refusing to work. they do not turn on either at 70 or 80 degrees C, nor above this value. the fuses under the bonnet look fine. i've noticed three small cubic relays on the drivers side of the car just behind the front lights, and one on the left. the left one i tried to pull out, and it turns on and off the normal headlights. on the drivers side i also noticed a larger, black plastic box, possibly another relay. near these i also noticed three connectors, one brown, one green, and one white. the green has nothing plugged in it, the others are connected.
do you know where to look for some electrical gremlin that causes the fans to fail? or if anyone knows a place where i could find a good detailed wiring diagram for the xm with colour codes or similar, please let me know.
many thanks
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Hello Ivan,
On the 2.5 the relays for the fans are just behind the headlight on the drivers side (that it for those of us who drive on the right side of the road [:D])I think 2 of the three are for the fans and the third for the headlights but I might be wrong about that. In any case you can test these relays by hooking them (the switch side of the connections) up to the battery directly and measuring the resistance over the other poles to see if it switches correctly.
Cheers,
Niek
ivan olsen
My Cars:

Post by ivan olsen »

hi, if i recall well, there's a pink and two green relays behind my drivers side headlights (if colour matters). or one green and two pinks? :) anyway, i will test the relays tomorrow, if i'm right, i should hear them clicking (if they do, it should be almost 100% to be ok).
but what next? :) i go on now searching for some wiring diagrams.
miraculously, amazon.com raised the price for the haynes manual from 25 usd to 31 since i'm searching amazon.com for this article.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Ivan -
Can you read it in Swedish language ?
Moderator Tomas from Citroenakuten has lots of info here. Any Citroen stuff would be in english :
http://www.ktl.mine.nu/pub/
(http://www.ktl.mine.nu/)
Also the Czeck CCC has quite some info here :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm
ivan olsen
My Cars:

Post by ivan olsen »

hi, i'm far from being fluent in swedish, but i'll try to do my best :) thanks for the info, let's see if it gets me any closer.
another thing crossed my mind: is there any additive that paints the coolant into some vibrating or uv-luminescent color? my cooling system is dripping water from somewhere (around 1 deciliters for 300km, not that much really), but i can't find the source of it. i was thinking that if there's such a liquid additive, that would help me greatly. if there isn't such a thing, time for me to make it. ;)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Blue ink ? [8D]
Have the system pressurised (at cold, engine not running) with a bike pump (max 1.5bar). Then the coolant will not evapourate, and thus have time to build up small puddles under your car.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Ivan,
If you send me your e-mail address (see my profile) I can send you the wiring digrams for the S1 cooling system. On the LHD TD12 the relays for the cooling fans are on the LH side above the headlamp unit.
Check the state of the heavy-duty fuse in the little black box in front of the battery (Fan fuses).
How far has your TD12 gone? A very common cause of water leakage is the water pump - the water dissapears into the cambelt casing and leaks out slowley (at first)just behind the crank pulley.
Also check the little rubber hose that goes from the aluminium protrusion on the front of the engine block to the left of the injection pump, runs directly under the plastic boost air inlet pipe to the manifold (that drops oil slowley onto it so that it eventually disolves) and then dissapears behind the injection pump (it actually goes to a connector on the block, which, naturally (for Citroën) has a different size than the other end!) This little ba***ad split on my TD12 at 120 kph and cooked the head gasket.
While your at it, there is is another hose running from the other side of the protrusion to a metal pipe that runs to the rear of the engine, beside the inlet air pipe to the turbo. This also splits with time. These points are the main bugbears of the TD12 engine which is otherwise bullet proof (mine has done 530 000 km in 10 years).
Before you start poking at the hoses too hard, make sure you have a spare - as said they have different sizes at each end (both of them!)
//NiSk
ivan olsen
My Cars:

Post by ivan olsen »

well, i've tested all what i could up till now, and the relays work fine, and they also utilize the fans if i make them switch. the swedish diagrams are a great help. so the next suspect is the thermoswitch near the cooler. but i just cannot find it! i've tried to follow the wires that are going directly into that unit, but i lost track after they disappear in some larger plastic protector pipe around the air filter. according to the wiring diagrams, they should be located near the passenger side (rhd) part of the cooler. i looked from above, looked from below, but just cannot find it. nor do i know, how it looks like. could anyone give me a hint?
also, here's a picture of the big black box that i can't figure out what it is:
any clue?
about the water leakage: i think i will open another thread on that later when i'm finished with this. :) but i'm now not even sure if it is coolant that drains away, or perhaps it is gasoline from the bosch fuel injector? it has a definite smell of gasoline when i take drops from underneath the injector, but has almost no smell when taken from the oil pan. it's the same material tho, and i can follow it until it disappears somewhere under the injector, by the console that holds the unit.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Crumbling leak-off hoses on the injectors!
//NiSk
ivan olsen
My Cars:

Post by ivan olsen »

hi Nisk,
i've already fixed the pipe you mentioned that is behind the injector and attach directly onto the engine block. mine gone dead by the metal screw-operated tightener (have no clue what its real name is) at the block. i cut them shorter and now it works fine. it happened few weeks ago at 160kph, fortunately near my home, so i could drive home still with some coolant in the reservoir. but the dripping is going on for a half year now, so it's from somewhere else.
ivan olsen
My Cars:

Post by ivan olsen »

you mean those small diameter series of rubber pipes that are connecting the units where fuel is injected into the engine by metal pipes? i've checked them all, and they are well sealed.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yep, those are the ones. Do you have a Bosch or a Lucas/Rotodiesel pump?
//NiSk
ivan olsen
My Cars:

Post by ivan olsen »

i got bosch
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

The big black box is the relay for the glow plugs.
On my car the temp sender for the fans is on the thermostat housing i think. Not sure about yours though.
ivan olsen
My Cars:

Post by ivan olsen »

thanks, i will examine the things as soon as the sun comes up. :)