Has anyone fitted power steering to an Ax?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Has anyone fitted power steering to an Ax?

Post by wrinklet1 »

Has anyone fitted power steering to an Ax? My Dad has an Ax MkII 1.0 Jazz 3dr and is finding the steering heavy when backing up or parking. I wondered if it is possible to retro fit power steering to the car? I think the Saxo steering rack is the same as the Ax not sure about the other bits needed.
Thanks
Paul
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, the 1.5 is the heaviest engine of the lot, and I find the steering borderline. However, the steering always feels lighter when:
a) There are new tyres on the front.
b) The front tyres are the correct pressure.
Have you tried checking these ?
Also, the Peugeot 106 1.5d had ( I think ) power steering, not sure about the saxo or the petrol models.
Bearing in mind they're all similar, I should think it's broadly possible to put PS on, however, you may find it more cost effective to sell the car and get one that has had it from new !
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I honestly wouldn't have thought it was worth the effort and expense - I would have thought it easier to find something similar with it already fitted.
If you do decide this course of action be careful as some cars are clumsier than they seem - My BX estate with power has a much worse lock than my previous Renault 21 without. In turn my wife's ZX 1.9D (with power) has an even worse lock and is actually wider! - which came as a bit of a shock as we were thinking something similar or newer might be ideal for my eldelry parents.
Jeremy
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

check if your front brakes are binding, garage recently freed up my breaks and steering feels completely different so much more free flowing
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

My BX estate with power has a much worse lock than my previous Renault 21 without. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I find that the lock to lock turning circle of the AX is bloody aweful! The BX (with PAS) will turn inside the circle of the AX (without PAS) and without ever coming close, the difference is scary. Factor in the understeer of the AX and it makes for a pretty rough story really
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

The main problem is that my dad broke his wrist a few years ago and sometimes it is a struggle for him to turn it with ease.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

The 106 post 19997 has electric power steering. This is probably easier to fit and there are often systems on sale on ebay (from VTR/VTS Saxos.. I wonder why?:-)
Thought about it on wife's 106.. decided not worth the hassle. Very good turning circle...and good for her biceps:-)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

19997 eh? That'll be the pug 106 that's not due to be released for another 17992 years then. [:D]
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

lol
It's got nuclear power and does 5,000 mile sto a gallon - of water...
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Your dad's a wuss.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Paul it might be worth having the front wheels tracking checked. If it has toe-out it feels rather heavy for that small car. Even a wee adjustment to achieve a bit toe-in setting can make a world of difference in handling.
2ndtonunn
My Cars:

Post by 2ndtonunn »

So why have the helpful comments stopped and the sarcasm started, Wrinklet1's question was straightforward enough.
If there is a AX variant with power steering then transferring it over will require, the rack assembly, pipework, resevoir, pump and fittings plus belt.
You may also require a different crankshaft pulley to run the extra belt for the pump.
If as Madasafish suggested the 106 fits that should be a simpler option, but a lot of research needs to be carried out before commiting to that route.
It may be cheaper to try and find a damaged (Scrap) AX with power steering then you will have plenty to play with.