d and td cam differences.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrbump
My Cars:

d and td cam differences.

Post by mrbump »

Well, after measuring both camshafts side by side, there is NO difference in the lift. It is considerably more difficult to measure for duration, but it appears that this is also the same on both cams. [B)] So in summary, it is not worth swapping the cam on your TD to those of the na diesel, as you will gain nothing. Or more accurately, I have gained nothing!!! Ah well, fulfilling the prophecy of 2 bad peices of info to the 1 good peice on this interweb thing....
cheers
greg
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I always said they were the same, they have the same part number!!!
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

I know you did ross, i was just confirming that[;)]. I had thought for ages that the lift and durations were different.
I cannot confirm however if there is any more overlap on the na diesel cam [?] Anyone?
Now thinking along other lines though. A mate of a mate of a mate swears blind he has a diesel camshaft in his 1.9 gti. I have also noticed 'DIST' stamped on my diesel cams, and wonder whether there are other options out there for extra lift apart form a regrind?
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

I was always under the impression that the overlap was different, although I have never looked at them side by side.
Also reading posts in the past, would indicate that using a n/a cam in a turbo diesel would raise the power band higher up the rev range.
Are you sure the cams came from n/a and turbo engines...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I used a non turbo camshaft on a turbo engine when the cam belt broke on my wifes BX, I didn't notice any difference and I'm sure she didn't!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Interesting.
haynes diesel engine book states:
XUD7 Inlet opens 8 BTDC
closes 40 ABDC
Exhaust opens 56 BBDC
closes 12 ATDC
XUD7TE Inlet opens 4.30BTDC
closes 20 ABDC
Exhaust opens 39 BBDC
closes 4 ATDC
XUD9A Inlet opens 4 BTDC
closes 35 ABDC
Exhaust opens 43 BBDC
closes 0 ATDC
Clearances - XUD7 1.00mm, others 0.8. opening for 7TE is in degrees and minutes.
Interstingly glass's technical data 1989 gives XUD7 and 1905cc (D98!) as having the same timing - but slightly different clearances. mind you it does list a BX19DTR Turbo with a 1769 engine and vacuum servo brakes!
jeremy
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Ah,
So it seems maybe the cam we need is from the 1769 engine? Does the Haynes not give numbers for the 1905td cam?
I suppose i could have a go at measuring the overlap and position of lobes on the two cams using a protractor...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Oh! The turbo engine was a 1769 but the camshaft I fitted was from a 1905 non turbo, but I still didn't notice any difference.