turbocharger xantia estate 1.9td update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

EGR. It can be a major nightmare on these engines, as combining dry hot exhaust gas in the intake manifold with the inevitable film of oil that ends up on the inside of the intake system means big big mess, and a severely restricted intake manifold. I recently had a 406 apart with exactly this problem. I cleaned about 5mm thickness of crud out of the intake system, and similar out of the Head ports, and off the intake valve stems. The result was that the engine could actually breathe afterwards.
The EGR was unceremoniously binned, with a blanking plate over the exhaust and intake manifold ports. The engine runs an awful lot better now!
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi Kowalski
well my last xantia was a 95n reg 1.9 t/d so i really don,t know i never looked into it but you might know the differance. ive just had a look at my xantia tonight and there is a pipe coming from the top of the pump to the big plastic intercooler pipe is that the one you mean if it is its secure but there,s a bit of wear where the pipe has been resting against the little round moulding on the other intercooler pipe but no hole as yet but soon will need changing.
pete.............................
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I know what you're saying about the inlet manifold getting full of gunge off the EGR. I had the stub of pipe off the inlet manifold off to re-gasket it, and I could see inside that the manifold was a bit full of gunge and soot. Taking the manifold off is a bit of a job, so I scraped the gunge out that I could with a screwdriver.
My '97 and '94 seem to have identical manifolds but the '94 has no EGR so the proper blanking plates must be available from the dealer. Perhaps a de-EGR is in order, or perhaps I could just unplug the electrovalve....
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The manifolds are similar, but not identical. There is an internal pipe in the EGR manifold that is not on the non-EGR engine. The same is true of the exhaust manifold. The EGR one has an additional casting. I had to make blanking plates for the 406 I de-EGR'ed, but then I did remove the vacuum-valve completely from the vehicle.
banjoski

Post by banjoski »

Hi buddies.
I have a Xantia 1.9TDSX estate car and as I was buying the car, I suggested to the previous owner that I didn’t think the turbo was working properly. I had a Xantia 1.9TD saloon, and the estate car was way down on power. Furthermore, my saloon turbo whistled when under heavy acceleration, as speed and boost increase – power also increased. The estate car turbo is spinning as I can hear a faint whistle, but it does not increase under acceleration, there is no noticeable change in whistle noise, or power. The mechanic who used to service the car for the previous owners said that it was fine, and indeed turbos shouldn’t whistle. I am a mechanical engineer, and all turbos that I have worked with have always whistled (no surprise at 80,000 rpm). I disconnected the hose to the intercooler, and checked airflow, it does increase a bit as the engine is revved, but not much.
So here I am with a flat car.
If the turbo is spinning and I can hear it whistle, that suggests to me that lubrication isn’t a problem. I consider the following as possibles:
The wastegate is seized open, hence increased gas flow to the turbine under acceleration is not happening
There is damage to the turbine blades
Blockage in the airflow somewhere (I fitted a new air filter).
It is a real pain to take this all out, if the fault is elsewhere. How can I check that the wastegate is functioning properly?
Banjoski
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You need a turbo boost gauge really to check whether or not your turbo is producing boost.
If the turbo is producing boost, it could be a problem with the pipe that leads to the enrichment device on the fuel pump, it's fairly common for this pipe to split, have a read of further up this post for more information about it.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,
To give an indication if the turbo is producing pressure, just squeeze the rubber pipe from the turbo to the intercooler with you thumb and fingers, then rev the engine, you should feel the pressure expanding this pipe.
If you have the Garrett turbo, from underneath the car access is possible to the waste gate pivot, you can then turn this lever using the end an open ended spanner.
This will determine if the gate is seized..
They do have a tendency to seize, if the car is driven with a light right foot...
Cheers