what is a Track control arm???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

what is a Track control arm???

Post by cheesesliceking »

now then!
got a Peugeot related question.. i know its not Citroen but please bear with me!
im told i need to replace the track control arms on the front of my 205.. this isnt the problem.... when i look on the online shop the only thing i can see close to be called a track control arm is a "T42208 FR CONT ARM LH " & T42209 FR CONT ARM RH " which are £24.50 each.
my question is... are they the same as "track control arms?" can anyone plllllllllease help!???
I tried using the contact us page on the online shop but its not working!!! aggghghghghghghghhhhhh
Any help appreciated greatly!!
Thanks~A
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Track Control Arms are also known as wishbones and the 205 has two non-inbterchangable types. One is for the GTi/Turbo Diesel models and another is for all the others. Given the model of 205, the correct ones can be identified. They're handed hence RH and LH (as you sit in the car)
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cheesesliceking</i>

now then!
got a Peugeot related question.. i know its not Citroen but please bear with me!
im told i need to replace the track control arms on the front of my 205.. this isnt the problem.... when i look on the online shop the only thing i can see close to be called a track control arm is a "T42208 FR CONT ARM LH " & T42209 FR CONT ARM RH " which are £24.50 each.
my question is... are they the same as "track control arms?" can anyone plllllllllease help!???
I tried using the contact us page on the online shop but its not working!!! aggghghghghghghghhhhhh
Any help appreciated greatly!!
Thanks~A
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Whats wrong with your old ones? If the ball joint is U/S then the arm is scrap, if the bushes are knackered, you can replace these.
cheesesliceking

Thy are both knocking really badly was told its easier to change the complete arms [:0]
cheesesliceking

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citrojim</i>

Track Control Arms are also known as wishbones and the 205 has two non-inbterchangable types. One is for the GTi/Turbo Diesel models and another is for all the others. Given the model of 205, the correct ones can be identified. They're handed hence RH and LH (as you sit in the car)
its a Standard none GTI none Diesel 205, so is it the FR CONT ARM LH & RH ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The part no's from our Hosts are as follows: T42208 LH and T42209 for the RH as you correctly identified.
But take note of the wise words of Dave Bamber, bushes are a fraction of the cost and both the wishbone and ARB bushes are available from GSF as follows:
Wishbone Bushes: T42226 and T42224 ARB Bushes: T42284 all for a cost of around a tenner a side all in.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cheesesliceking</i>

Thy are both knocking really badly was told its easier to change the complete arms [:0]
I removed the arms and changed the ARB to TCA bushes on both sides, start to finish the job took an hour. If I remember the bushes cost less than a tenner.
cheesesliceking

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citrojim</i>

The part no's from our Hosts are as follows: T42208 LH and T42209 for the RH as you correctly identified.
But take note of the wise words of Dave Bamber, bushes are a fraction of the cost and both the wishbone and ARB bushes are available from GSF as follows:
Wishbone Bushes: T42226 and T42224 ARB Bushes: T42284 all for a cost of around a tenner a side all in.
thanks for your help mate [:D] I'll take heed of the advice given & go pabck to the original mechainc & ask him what exactly he meant e.g. bushes or full arms, thank you both guys![8D][8D][8D]
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

if they knock really loudly to me that sais anti roll bar drop links??? i may be way off base here but if the ball joints go then you get a bit of play in the wheel and it affects the steering a bit but i have never heard one knock??????
cheesesliceking

doesnt have anti roll bars! [:I]
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

[:I][:I][:I]
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

doesnt have anti roll bars! [:I]
It does have an Anti Roll Bar (ARB) but no Drop Links. ARB goes straight into the wishbone via a bush about midway along it. Only the GTi, TD, Rallye and XS has Drop Links connecting the ARB direct to the strut..
I hate to think what driving a car with no ARB would be like. Hairy I would imagine...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My mother's MKII Jetta had no front anti roll bar, there wasn't one on the rear either but that had the VW H beam rear suspension where the beam does the anti roll (I'm not a fan of that design). It had body roll...
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I hate to think what driving a car with no ARB would be like. Hairy I would imagine...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Its not actually that bad- Hydragas equipped BL cars had no anti roll bars and were comfy to ride in-you didn't notice any roll over and above a steel sprung car, and if it wasn't for the need to operate the height controllers I don't suppose Citroen would have fitted them to the Hydropneumatic cars, either.
Take them off a tinspring car, however, and it would probably be a different story....
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The anti-roll bar is important on hydraulic Citroens due to the method of connection for the struts. You will recall that the struts at each end are fed by a common pipe from the appropriate height corrector with a simple T piece splitting the pipe for each side. So, push down on one side, fluid flows up the strut, into the sphere and down the delivery pipe and to the other side - so car rolls rather nicely.
Various stages of sophistication have used or limited this efect on XM and later cars.
The shame really is that you have hydraulic/pneumatic suspension to deal with loads and bumps that affect both wheels, but steel as whell to deal with potholes!
Jeremy