heater only works on position 3

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

whizz_2001
My Cars:

heater only works on position 3

Post by whizz_2001 »

Can anyone help me? My heater will work if I switch it to the number 3 but does nothing if you put it to the first 2 positions. Any ideas why this would happen?? Someone has mentioned it may be the resistors but where are they and how do I get to them?
cheers
Andy
whizz_2001
My Cars:

Post by whizz_2001 »

Oh by the way it is on a SAXO VTS
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It probably is the resistors as on full speed they are not used but I am afriad I dont know where they are, my XM doesn't use them, I am sure someone will tell you.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

would they be attached to the heaer matrix by any chance? i've ripped out a few saxo dashes in my time & never seen any PCB's near the heater controls, there's just long plastic controls linked to the fan & slide switches that go waaaay back towards the bulkhead. [B)]
Whizz_2001.. you should go get yourself an MR2 mate.. I've heard they're quite good.... lol
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

On my old AX the resistor was enclosed within the plastic casing of the heater fan itself. Same thing happened, the slow speeds packed up and then eventially the fast speed went too. The resistor is a coiled wire with three entry points and it breaks up. I'm sure someone here (years ago) listed three resistors you could wire up instead. My electronics is too poor to work this out myself with any confidence! Basically 12v is supplied to all speed terminals and the resistor cuts down what gets to the motor.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

that would make sense as it would help cool the resistors, looks like its dashboard takin out time Whiiz_2001...
of course you could just buy an MR2...
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

on a saxo the resistor pack is part of the motor & is not available seperately (well not from citroen anyway).to remove the motor you need to first remove the scuttle panel as the 2 nut holding it in are under there,then remove the ducting & connector on it and it drops out under the dash at the right hand side.
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Are you sure?? On mine the pack is removeable from the motor housing (see pic) and it is possible to purchase the resistors or transistors or whatever they are, seperately.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zzf00l</i>

Are you sure?? On mine the pack is removeable from the motor housing (see pic) and it is possible to purchase the resistors or transistors or whatever they are, seperately.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
your car is a Xantia though,this is a saxo,you deffo cant (from citroen) get the resistor pack seperate,comes complete with the motor.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I'm assuming then it is like the AX motor. The resistor pack (if you can call it that) is hard wired into the motor. It's only a lengthened coil of wire with three entry points sealed in some hardened powdery stuff (can you tell I'm not an electrician?) - easy to smash up and impossible to repair. Hence the suggestion of rewiring using seperate resistors. I'll do a search at home and see if I can find the values I was given.
whizz_2001
My Cars:

Post by whizz_2001 »

Thanks for that everyone. Davek-uk did you manage to find some explanation yet?
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

On the 205 the fan controller was located in the bottom of the ventillation duct in the passenger footwell. Worth checking if this car is similar. The last one I replaced was about £3 from a scrappy.
With a mirror look up under the dash on the passender side. In the duct near the fan motor there may be a unit with some wires coming out, held in by two or three self tapping screws.
On the other hand the Saxo may be completely different in which case I don't know!