Now I have a BX!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davek-uk
My Cars:

Now I have a BX!

Post by davek-uk »

I hope you are <u>all</u> willing to accept the blame here. I brought a BX yesterday. I haven't had a very good look at it yet but inside and out it looks clean and tidy, it's still a nice deep red, pumps up and drives well, it's a J-reg 19TXD Estate, 68k on the clock and £30 - MoT expires September. Faults I know about are a noisy thrust bearing and a heater fan that doesn't run.
This evening I'm taking delivery so I'll be able to have a good look around.
It was given to my neighbour who takes in and tidies cars to resell. He failed to sell it for £60 and was going to weigh it in and scrap it. It looks too good to die so I'm going to try and save it!
A couple of years ago I wouldn't have considered saving a BX - so I'm either enlightened or brainwashed. Either way it happened here...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][8D]
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Dave
Well done. You will regret it, you will become obsessed, you will get odd looks from passers-by and face tough questioning from your relatives, you will start to lie and cheat and spend too much time fantasising about your BX....but it will be worth it.
If your experience is any way like mine, that is!
Have a look at this: www.bxclub.co.uk and claim your windscreen sticker.
Oscar
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A very under rated car, if its a turbo it will fly and use very little fuel doing it.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

You have my deepest sympathies
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Mine too. Welcome to our world![:p][:p][:p]
Post some pictures when you can so we can see what you got for £30[:D]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

far easier to fix than xants regards malcolm
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

Bit off topic but where can you get the bxclub stickers from?????
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Cornish BX 16V. I think you can order them from www.bxclub.co.uk . I might get one soon.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Thanks for your sympathies, but it's a bit late now - a forewarning may have been better!
I'll get some pics soon. Now I've had a look it really doesn't look too bad. Mind you against the Xantia it's UGLY! I've yet to test the electrics fully [:o)], but so far:-
Bad points:
Engine covered in oil and dripping oil on the drive already[xx(] and LHM reservoir covered in LHM and the whole area around it.
Front seat adjustments need looking at.
Missing trim under tailgate window.
Two windows with rusted runners.
Shabby centre console above the radio.
The floor needs a damn good hoover!
Punctured spare.
Good points:
Bodywork good without obvious rust (and it has a towbar [:D]).
It's had new brake calipers on the front and a new battery.
No frantic ticking and suspension does what it should - and quickly.
3 good tryes and a passible fourth.
Upholstery near perfect.
The trouble is I haven't even been in a BX before so I don't know what everything should look like console or trim wise. And how is the load cover supposed to work?[:I]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Where abouts are you Dave?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Is that all you have found - and you have got a towbar in the deal.
OMG this alone would cost as much as the car [:(]
- oh I envy you :
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=14282
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I'm in the Forest of Dean, Dave. I spent some time on it yesterday evening and got absolutely covered in oil[:)]. Things are generally better than I could have hoped for.
I gave her a good hoover (starting of slow and easy) and checked the electrics and everything works except the rear wash squirter! Very surprised. Set the door latches and the front passenger top hinge had been rewelded - poorly. The rad looks newish and I ran the engine until the fan cut in (low speed). No trouble. I was pleased to notice that a lot of the engine ancillaries looked like my Xantia, so no surprises here.
Up on the ramps to look for the oil leak and as soon as I saw it I knew it was a green leak and not black. Slight leakage around the pressure regulator but a bigger leak from behind the subframe on the rhs at the back of the front wheel.
<i>It's one of the metal pipes that come from the back, it passes across the car above the subframe and pushes into a black plastic pipe just under the steering rack gaiter on the rhs. The plastic pipe goes under the rack gaiter and into a group of pipes in a plastic sleeve. The pipe joint seems to be a simple push fit sealed by an 10-15 cm sleeve with a jubilee clip on it.</i>
[?]I guess I'm going to have to replace the plastic pipe. It must be split somewhere at the join. There was too much LHM around to see very well yesterday although it will have drained now. Is the plastic piping anything special? I assume it is a return pipe from the rear and as such will be heading for the reservoir - would this be a good guess?
I found a couple of disturbing chunks of junk ali-metal in a square (access?) hole in the bottom of the gearbox - I've no ideas here!
At the moment I have no workshop manual of any kind so I'm really working on good sense alone - not always my best mode[:o)]. Checked the front brakes and the calipers and pads look new but it could do with new handbrake cables. So far, so good.[:D] I hope...
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Too far to come for a point and laugh!
Sounds like you have a leaky octopus pipe, you might get away with a cut and splice job. Hope so as the whole lot is a bugger to replace with the engine it........
Come any have a play: http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Damn! He got a good one! Welcome to BX world.