rear drops

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheshire61
My Cars:

rear drops

Post by cheshire61 »

just went out in my 94 xantia td and when i started the rear dropped
and then started to rise as normal i have noticed this a few times i have had all new spheres fitted last year don't know if one has failed
any help
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Did you renew the accumulator?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be a sticky height control valve, a few applications of WD40 should help.
cheshire61
My Cars:

Post by cheshire61 »

yes the accumulator was renewed also have been treating everything suspension wise with wd40
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have a search of this site under anti sink - reading that lot should keep you busy for a couple of days but you may get an idea of what is happening.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=14361
This is a typical thread and seems to suggest accumulator problems. these are accompanied by rapid ticking which slows if the car is fully raised. Another test is to start the car and set it to normal height and let the engine run for a minute or two. Then turn off the engine and sit in the boot, the car should sink and then rise to its normal height if the accumulator is sound.
JEREMY
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Have a search of this site under anti sink - reading that lot should keep you busy for a couple of days but you may get an idea of what is happening.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=14361
This is a typical thread and seems to suggest accumulator problems. these are accompanied by rapid ticking which slows if the car is fully raised. Another test is to start the car and set it to normal height and let the engine run for a minute or two. Then turn off the engine and sit in the boot, the car should sink and then rise to its normal height if the accumulator is sound.
JEREMY
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Or this recent thread:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=15019
Where the problem turned out to be his anti-sink sphere...
Regards,
Simon
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I had and still have an identical problem. Accumlator and anti-sink are new , original Citroen. Car rear still fals when starting engine.
I changed the hight corrector, problem went away for a few days but then it came back.... getting really lost with this one...
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

As posted before, I had this problem only to find I had been supplied with the wrong spec accumulator sphere from a national company (not GSF). The central computer records were incorrect.
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Yup, as posted by Mandrake I had this problem. It was still present after replacing the accumulator sphere even though the ticking was now at 2 min intervals. I fixed it by changing the anti sink sphere at a total cost of £23 plus having to buy a 9mm spanner to get the nut off! Now it no longer sinks and re-rises after starting it. Remember to do lots of citerobics after changing the sphere.
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rostami</i>

I had and still have an identical problem. Accumlator and anti-sink are new , original Citroen. Car rear still fals when starting engine.
I changed the hight corrector, problem went away for a few days but then it came back.... getting really lost with this one...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Are you sure the sphere's are both good even though they're new? I had a 'new' accumulator fitted. Within a day my ticking was back at 5 second intervals, twice as frequent as before. Turns out the sphere had popped and was as flat as a fart. I went and bought a new one, fitted it myself and all was well. Citroen wanted £80 for a 'new' sphere. Unipart, £20 for the same item. People fitting duff/wrong/ regassed spheres and passing them off as brand spankers seems to be common.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Well Chrispy you are making me paranoid. I saw the spheres in their original citroen boxes...but who knows! Ticking is in the 30-40 seconds range. The stop light takes about 25 secs to turn off (too much I say) after each engine turn-on.