Xantia Hdi 90bhp or 110bhp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

baldrick
My Cars:

Xantia Hdi 90bhp or 110bhp

Post by baldrick »

How can you tell the differance between them, just bought one and i'm not sure which one i have,also when i pull away in 1st gear it seems very slow to pick up speed compaired to my 1.9 td.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

The most visible difference is the Intercooler!
The intercooler is placed right in front of the radiator. If the car has AC, you should find 3 (!!!) radiators in the front of the car.
The air tubes connecting to the IC are rather large in diameter so they are impossible to miss!
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Sorry for the confusing post:
2.0 HDi 90HP: NO INTERCOOLER
2.0 HDi 110HP: INTERCOOLER
in Portugal all Xantiae 2.0HDi are the 110HP version... the 90HP was used on smaller cars
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

VIN number -
90bhp starts RHY
110bhp starts RHX
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

VIN number -
90bhp starts RHY
110bhp starts RHX
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
its the 6th,7th & 8th digits of the VIN & the 110bhp is RH<font color="blue">Z</font id="blue">
p20

Post by p20 »

The 110 wears 205 tyres, the 90 has 185's.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've driven HDIs and they don't feel as fast as the TDs because they don't have as much turbo lag, they also have taller gearing which makes them a bit slower too, so even though they're more torquey they just don't feel like it.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Sorry to be pedantic but I don't think its turbo lag; I think its the more linear power dlievery of the HDi that makes it feel lethargic compared to the XUD. Personally I like a bit more diesel character and the oomph around 2000rpm on the old XUD suits me fine...but then I was raised on peaky old 2-stroke Yamahas!
Simon
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

nothing wrong with peaky 2 stroke yams, still using them :-)
And as for diesels, for my mind the XUD is the best diesel engine ever, turbo and non turbo. I dont go in for all this modern HDi stuff.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wheeler</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

VIN number -
90bhp starts RHY
110bhp starts RHX
its the 6th,7th & 8th digits of the VIN & the 110bhp is RH<font color="blue">Z</font id="blue">
Doh! Really should learn my alphabet! Though look on the inner wing and the RHY/Z are the first letters on the VIN - the one on the reg document is longer for some reason.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the full VIN is 17 digits long & on a (reasonably modern) Citroen the 1st three digits (the worldwide manufacturing index) should always be VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkwheel</i>

nothing wrong with peaky 2 stroke yams, still using them :-)
And as for diesels, for my mind the XUD is the best diesel engine ever, turbo and non turbo. I dont go in for all this modern HDi stuff.
I agree....the XUD's feel so much more beefy. In traffic they pull themselves along no problems, and they feel like they have so much more pull when the turbo kicks in. The HDi's power delivery is much more linear and petrol like that it almost feels like it isn't a diesel. They're quite clattery too, especially if left to idle for long periods and if you rev them too much they take on a tinkly noise. The only thing I do like the the extra mpg and the fact they can control their own idle pretty much perfectly, unlike us with our daft wax stats and electric idle relays that fail.
The best diesel for me (that I've driven anyway) has to be VAG Pumpe Duse's. I drove a Golf GTi PD 130. Holy sh!t did that thing shift!
Tons of boost at 1800rpm all the way up to 4k, then time for gearchange.
Anyway, all these guys are right, the HDi 110 has a cooler. They do feel a bit more laggy though according to some people I know, but pull harder when on song.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Hi to all,
I really enjoy the 110 HDi. Acceleration is smooth and noticeably lots of electronics barge in to lower consumption. But it is worth it, and the old lady weighs around 1500kg... Ah high speeds the engine really pulls well. At this moment diesel is reaching 1euro/liter and petrol 1.3euro/liter in Portugal. Just for your reference, minimum wage is in the 350 euro/month range...every penny counts.
Anyway, about 10 years ago when small diesel engines became popular, simple mechanical pumps and no turbos, everyone complained about how slow and noisy and this and that diesel engines were.
The dream was to make a diesel engine that would behave like the petrol engine. Well, commom rail is a definite step towards that and now most of us are already used to the older diesels and dont like the soft, silent HDi :)
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

That's the thing though, both HDi's I've driven aren't soft and silent. They're clattery things. The only thing that is quieter is the engine vibration through the car. Injector knock is still quite pronounced and they're terrible top end with performance. But they are very economical and quieter at speed than the XUD. A much nicer engine to own in general provided they don't break electrically and you chip the 90 or buy a 110.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Chrispy, why not chip the 110 :P