Driveshaft intermediate bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnlyn
My Cars:

Driveshaft intermediate bearing

Post by johnlyn »

Me thinks I'am trying to do too many tasks for one day, right hand drive shaft needs replacing, haynes book says to slacken the two intermediate bolts & then to rotate them through 90 degrees (cant see the heads of bolts so where has 90 degrees gone) got that far but shaft still wont move one way or the other, could it have locked onto the bearing? maybe remove bearing/engine mount? Any ideas guys
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
You wont get the engine mount off untill the driveshaft is free!
Dont even try undoing the mounts bolt untill the shaft is free or you are in for a heap of trouble.
You undo the 2 x nuts holding the bearing & then you can push the bolts out a little way & then turn them through the 90 degrees, The heads of the bolts are a half moon shape & thats what holds the bearing in.
The driveshaft & bearing will then knock out easily.
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Lee,
Thanks but i have got this far, just had a look with lead light & can just see half moon bolts as you say, in correct position to remove shaft but cant pull it out, ooer matron, surely i must be missing something.
John
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Gently tap around the edges of the bearing with a drift & the shaft should then pop out.
Dont smack it to hard, It will come out, Just needs a little help.
Once its out, Check the bottom engine mount rubber too, Its so much easier to change it with the whole alloy unit on the bench, The rubbers arnt expensive either.
I would be very tempted to change the rubber while the shaft is out,
Also have something to catch the oil thats gonna come out the gearbox when the shaft pops free.
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Thanx Lee, will have another go tomorrow, advice taken on board & appreciated.
Cheers
John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Try clamping a large pair of mole grips on the shaft and hitting them. You can tell when you have undone the bolts sufficiently because you will be able to rotate them half a turn by hand.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

They can stick for fun in the housing, mine took some drifting out so I used a chisel on the locking coller behind the bearing as I didn't want to damage the bearing as I was re-using the shaft.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always remove both nuts from bearing retaining bolts then with c/v joint clear from hub look at shaft gearbox side of bearing housing you will see a boss,i now use a chisel with the tip ground flat give the boss 2 or 3 good cloncks then shaft will pull out,before refitting place bots back in with headtips facing outwards refit nuts partlymake sure bolt heads are clear of bearing re/entry,spin nut onto c/v joint till nearly flush with thread,check shaft has enterd diff then give c/v a couple of taps with club hammer till bearing has enterd housing,then rotate boltsyou will feel them drop into slots now place the blade of screw driver between thread and shaft to stop bolt moving whilst fitting nuts regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ahemmmm...
Except for DaveB it seems you other guys have not tried a REALLY fun sticking bearing in that housing [xx(]
Even with nuts off (making SURE the bolts are not holding the bearing) you can hammer and tap and wack and whatecer - VERY enthusiastic - the bearing still stick [}:)]
However it seems to have a mind of its own : just as you have given up (your arms are like 2 blocks of lead) - one last tap and its out [:D]
Once out in the sun you can see why : a steel bearing surface resting for years in an alloy housing - is bound to stick with some roadsalt [B)]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont often find them stuck regards malcolm
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Well i certainly found my one stuck, battered the hell out of it & my hand (ouch) but bearing came away in the end.
Many thanks guys
John
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Even with nuts off (making SURE the bolts are not holding the bearing) you can hammer and tap and wack and whatecer - VERY enthusiastic - the bearing still stick [}:)]
However it seems to have a mind of its own : just as you have given up (your arms are like 2 blocks of lead) - one last tap and its out [:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Almost like you were there Anders..........
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PowerLee</i>

Gently tap around the edges of the bearing with a drift & the shaft should then pop out.
Dont smack it to hard, It will come out, Just needs a little help.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nargh im with others, beat the living crap out of it! I have a cold chisel ground to shape to fit the slot in the mount and bearing just to stay on the safe side!
I also find i have difficulty grabbing the thing because of oil etc. The solution is rough sand paper! wrap it round the shaft and you can get a better grip on it!
Once you free it, give it a good clean (the bearing and mount) and a light oiling as you put it back in!
Remember you need the hub OFF the shaft completely or it will continue to push the intermediary bearing into the mount regardless how much you hit it!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Gee you guys in the UK have fun... The RHS driveshaft always falls out of my cars. Usually (on the CX) it's getting the driveshaft out fo the diff that's the issue.
It would probably pay to change the intermediate driveshaft bearing while the driveshaft is out (just spin it and check for wear).
seeya,
Shane L.
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Not much wear in the bearing itself, but you could clearly see corrosion on the outside of the bearing where it had frozen itself into the housing