Sphere removal ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnlyn
My Cars:

Sphere removal ??

Post by johnlyn »

Was going to replace strut tops today but came across a problem, how on earth do the spheres on top of the struts come off, I used a good chain oil filter remover but they would have none of that (pressure is released)any tips here would be much apreciated.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You need a really beefy strap wrench. An oil filter one is really not up to the job but having said that, I have a webbing one and that works for me. For really stubborn spheres I have a webbing strap wrench made from the webbing used to tie down cars on transporters. Failing that and the sphere is to be changed anyway, a hammer and chisel usually gives satisfaction!
I replaced my strut tops today. Here (if you have not already seen it) is my account of the job with a few tips...
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=15070
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Jim
Yes i had already seen your account & very helpful it seemed too, unfortunately i cannot release the strut from the top either, tried removing the 4 strut top bolts & wriggling it through the body (forget that one) & tried the chisel approach but got scared in case i go through casing.
John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnlyn</i>

Jim
Yes i had already seen your account & very helpful it seemed too, unfortunately i cannot release the strut from the top either, tried removing the 4 strut top bolts & wriggling it through the body (forget that one) & tried the chisel approach but got scared in case i go through casing.
John
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Once the sphere is off, the strut and top together should almost fall away from the wing after taking the four bolts out. Provided that the strut is free of the hub at the bottom there's nothing more to hold it.
The problem is in separating the strut from the old top. You really do need to give it a very firm and deliberate whack from a very large hammer. One blow from a 4lb club hammer is about right. It won't work with a lot of hard clods from a little hammer.
Never worry abouy going through a sphere with a chisel. They're exceedingly thick and robust.
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Ok Jim will trust your advice, got twilight here now in north of Scotland so too late to have a go at it now, but tomorrow is another day.
Cheers
John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i use a 30cm stanly pipe chain rench had it for years,cost me about 30 squid regards malcolm
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

A lot of people have recommended using a chain strap wrench with some rubber stuffed in between it and the sphere. My normal strap wrench is never strong enough and always just creaks and slips. On both sphere's I've changed I ended up using a hammer and metal chisel to turn the sphere. Trouble is, it damages the sphere so it has to be replaced, but that's been the idea with mine both times. [:)]
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

If you don't want to risk the chisel approach, I've successfully used a large jubilee clip (or several small ones linked together). What I did was to undo the clip and thread it through a suitable piece of bike inner tube. This prevents the clip from slipping and ruining the nice paint on your spheres! Then do the clip up around the sphere (making sure to have the screw bit on the right (as in correct rather than not left!)side). Do it up really really tight then hit the screw driver in the clip with a hammer. This has the advantage that there is no damage to the sphere and less chance of the screwdriver slipping off and hitting surrounding vital tubes/wires/etc compared to the chisel method.
Cheers
Duncan
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

chrispy you oviusly have not seen a stanly 30cm pipe rench,its not the usuel chain,i more often than not put a 2' tube on the end to give more leverage,i never have to use buttchery with hammer and chisel and never put rubber between chain and sphere regards malcolm
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Sphere removal
Quite a simple fix....... get a scrap seat belt with the 'eye' still one one end. Wrap it around the sphere. Place a good screwdriver or length of metal through the eye with the tip digging in to the braid and the sphere. Works every time. If they are persistent first put a sheet of very rough emerey paper around the sphere before wrapping around the braid. I use the abrasive paper used on belt sanders.
Works every time without fail.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I have access to a large set of stilsons, they take the paint off, but they shift just about any sphere. Hammer and chisel is the last resort, but that method with shift just about anything.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I have a very heavy duty chain wrench-its like an oil filter wrench only its nearly two feet long with half inch wide chain on it, and it will shift the most stubborn of spheres!!!
Ask in your local spares shop- I did and was surprised when they produced this monster!!
It was about a tenner and was from the franklin tools range but its not listed on their web site.
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Many thanks, managed to free them & seem in good condition, next question how do you store them for maybe later use?