Fuel Tank Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

littleredrooster

Fuel Tank Leak

Post by littleredrooster »

Help!! My fuel tank is leaking. [:(]
The car is a 2001 Xantia HDi 110.
I filled it up last night and parked it as per normal (on fairly level ground). When I came out this morning, there was a puddle under the rear of the car. Perhaps half-a-cupful, with drips waiting to fall from the underside of the tank. On closer inspection, it appears to be coming from the top of the tank, possibly near to where the two pipes go from the front edge of the tank.
I can't see any way of even getting a good look at the area without dropping the tank off. Are there any inspection covers I should know about? How easily does the tank come off? Could it just be that I overfilled it? (It was well up the filler neck, inadverdantly!)
Any help greatly appreciated, chaps! [:)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Had a similar problem on my late CX.
When you brim the tank there are a couple of liters fuel in the large hose from filler neck down to the tank.
This means that the pump & gauge take outs are then submerged under the thought fuel surface. If the seal here is then a bit doubtful the fuel will slowly seep out and drip down.
Drive a couple of days (to lower the tank fuel level) then lift up the rear seat and check the take outs submerged into tank.
Careful with diesel fuel as it makes your seats/carpets stink for weeks.
littleredrooster

Post by littleredrooster »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

.....then lift up the rear seat and check the take outs submerged into tank......<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
....ahhhh - I've got a big plastic bung under the offside seat. Does this just pull out? Can you then see where the pipes enter the tank?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had this problem on the ZX 1.9D when we got it and eventually found a breather pipe had split well out of reach. I cut a hole in the floor under the seat to provide access and fitted a plate over it with seam sealer and pop rivets (as they are blunt ended and less likely to puncture the tank)
Seemed easier to me than emptying the tank and dropping the exhaust etc. (and the car is unlikely ever to become a concours car) I joined the breather pipe with a washer fitting.
jeremy